Interesting read on Pistol Pete

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BigWee_TEAMKATT, Jan 25, 2007.

1. BigWee_TEAMKATT

BigWee_TEAMKATT Victory for LSU!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. LSUalum24

LSUalum24 Founding Member

Ugh. I cannot stand Bill Simmons nowadays. He's a hypocritical douche.

3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Didn't Hollywood already make a movie... (in reference to the end of the article) :thumb:

4. bitter ND

bitter ND Founding Member

To me, Pistol Pete was the triump of flashy stats over more important concepts like teamwork and winning. I remember watching a show about him, where the fans of his team cared only about how many points he scored and not if his team won or not.

5. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

To me, you still being here is the triump of being pathetic over more important concepts like bringing new comments to the table and being able to open your mouth without some form of crap flowing out of it!

Pistol is one of those players that you would really like to see play nowadays with the 3point line, he would have set untouchable records at LSU!

And the movie while it was done with a low budget, it was filmed here in Louisiana so it gets an A+ in my book!

6. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

yeah i think it's a real shame ND hasn't had a bball player 1/100th of pistol's talent either...

7. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

He set untouchable records without the 3-point line.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

And without freshman eligibility.

9. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

Who wants to go summon him.....we need a guard...

10. bitter ND

bitter ND Founding Member

And, yet, ND was the team that finally beat UCLA and broke its streak. ND players didn't have the talent of a Pistol Pete, but they were a team and that is what's important. What did his critics say? Pistol Pete pursued his skills with many solitary hours alone in the gym, and still played as if he was the only person on the court. No doubt Pistol Pete could score, but he was also too selfish and obsessed with scoring titles that it always ended up hurting his team. None of his teams ever made it to the Final Four or past the second round of the playoffs in the NBA. It wasn't till he retired that the Celtics won another championship. Would it be fair to compare him to ARod? Huge contract for the time, huge numbers during the regular season, but yet his teams could never win in the playoffs.

But, I have to admit, I think a biography or movie about the guy would be fascinating in a car crash kind of way.