Injured buckling

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by el005639, Nov 4, 2019.

1. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Any veterinary people out there.

I raise blackbuck antelope. I have a young buckling about 5 months old who got tore up by a dog. I'm trying to save him so that he can grow up and I can sell him off.

His underside around his groin is totally exposed. I have had him on daily shots on penicillin for about 10 days. And have been using sulfa dine cream on the wound. It looks like its paying off because I am seeing pink flesh where it was just white. I am keeping him in a clean dry place where flys cant bother him.

My questions are
    I have heard of using sterilized honey to speed the growth of new tissue. Has anyone heard of this?
    Second question is it better to have the wound open to the air so that it can freely drain and stay dry or should we cover it so it stays moist.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Wouldn't honey draw a lot more flies?

3. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Probably but I have him in a fairly sterile environment because the wound is terrible. I'm actually surprised he has lived this long.
    I'm told that it is a therapy being used on humans, they think the natural sugars in the honey speed cell growth.

4. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Honey is a great choice as it is loaded in anti bacterial and inflamation properties. Lavender is also a good choice. Tea tree oils are phenomenal for preventing infection, but can be a little uncomfortable. The smell will keep the little guy from licking the affected area if he can reach.

5. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

we have to treat lots of injuries to dogs horses and cows and you are doing about all you can do. I would hold off on the honey unless you can keep him from getting to it he will probably lick himself way to much with honey on there unless you can someone keep him from doing it. Keep it clean and dry and administer antibiotics either orally, with cream, or both is about all you can do. Animals come through some gruesome looking injuries on their own that people would never survive even with medical care so any help you are giving him is probably worth 20 times what you think its doing. Keep him hydrated even if you have to put him on an IV

KyleK likes this.
  6. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Thank you for the insight

7. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

Just a quick update. The little buck is doing well. His wounds are almost healed. It more or less looks like road burn were the skin has been removed on his inner legs. Still a wase to go but no more infection. I honestly did not think he would make it but I'm certain he will now.

shane0911, KyleK and Bengal B like this.
  8. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Great to hear. I love to hear success stories like this.

shane0911 likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

After all the care you have given him you save his life you can't sell the little buckaroo to be shot by some rich guy who wants to put his head on his wall. Make him a pet and a stud animal.

10. el005639

el005639 Founding Member

It's all about horn length. At about 3 years you want 20 or more inches, 26 is ideal. Then he could stud. But it will be hard to part with him no matter what.