If Cleveland Browns hire Michael Lombardi, Alabama's Nick Saban would be likely head coach target

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by TIGRIS PANTHERA, Dec 10, 2012.

1. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

There are 2 ways to look at that: If you're speaking on talent alone, or if you're speaking on popularity. For me, NFL football is not nearly as interesting as College football. And I agree about not trusting what Saban says, the quote Contained Chaos posted is a prime example.

Who knows what Saban will do. We'll find out soon enough.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I actually do like that comment, and can relate from a fan point of view. Question is, does Nick Saban, a man clearly driven to be the best at what he does, feel the same way.

3. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Was that after RichRod told you "no"?

StaceyO likes this.
  4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Except that the discussion has nothing to do with fan popularity. We are speculating on Nick Saban's career aspirations.

5. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

So you really do know the whole story. So how in the name of everything purple and gold did Nick Saban tell a lie? Saban says NO, RichRod says my wife won't let me GO. And on further review, Saban decides to join the show.

6. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Right. So bama does take no for an answer, and saban is a liar. Two facts the rest of us already knew.

StaceyO and ParadiseiNC like this.
  7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

"i had a college job. if i wanted to coach in college I would have never left." - Nick Saban a week before being named head coach of Alabama.

Contained Chaos likes this.
  8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Another thing to think about regarding Saban's "tenure"in the NFL, he was really 1 personnel move away from possibly being a perennial playoff team, maybe a championship caliber team in Miami. Drew Brees. If he signs Drew instead of Culpepper, maybe we never have this conversation and he has a Dynasty in Miami. I wonder if that sticks in his craw. He has been able to have great success with mediocrity at the QB position in college, and that rarely translates to the pros, especially this day and age in a qb driven league. I bet he realizes alot of his mistakes the first go round, and would think he at least thinks he could remedy those a 2nd time around.

orlandotiger likes this.
  9. Attack Tiger

Attack Tiger Reformed Sunshine Pumper

I agree to a point. Payton and Brees are like mentos and diet coke. Individually, they're pretty good, but underwhelming. Together, they're explosive.

But your point is a good one. In a better situation, he could do pretty well in the pros, and he knows it.

However...he's getting on in age. Maybe his drive is declining a little, and he's decided to accept the fact that he'll have to just "settle" for being one of the long-remembered legendary coaches in college ball.

10. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

In all this hast to rid oneself of it's main rival, you have forgotten the historical nature of what is going on at Alabama. Seldom does a coach get an opportunity to dominate at any place, anywhere, to this degree. Bama has 3 outstanding running backs verbally committed and yet the top two backs in Georgia are still considering going to the Tide. It seems that way at all the positions. Build it and they will come. Perhaps Archie Manning after the SECCG said it best: This Alabama program is getting "Wooden Like."