How long does pork last if unrefridgerated?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Pennsylvania, Jan 18, 2012.

1. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

They told me that I was praying out loud to die. Funny thing is I was really hungry that night and had second and third helpings of the fish.

The Hatian ambulance was a treat. A pickup truck with a mattress in the back bouncing down the mountain roads outside of Port au Prince.

2. Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Go easy on me

That's pretty much what I did except I used Birch Beer and I threw an onion in there as well. Very tasty.

3. KyleK

I figured that was it. It is very good. Try it w/ butt. It will have more flavor and cost less and will still be cooked in the 6 hours. I do the onion if I have it and it is preferable. If not, a little onion powder.

4. Pennsylvania

Food poisoning: Very good for weight control.

5. Pennsylvania

Well considering I threw away 4/5 of what I made, I will be making it again soon. Probably this weekend.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Seafood turns very fast and undercooked pork is bad even if it is fresh. But well-cooked pork shouldn't turn faster than beef or chicken, in my reasoning.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

pork is no longer riskier than steak. but everyone overcooks it to be safe. and ruins it. you can even have pink pork and be ok. i think the temperature is 137 and not 160 anymore, when trichinosis was a possibility. now you have a better chance of winning the lottery.

seafood is always risky by nature and cannot be trusted.

chicken is probably next riskiest.

the pork will be fine especially since you overcooked it. i probably do this once a week which build ups my immune system. But I have seen someone with food poisoning and its not a pretty sight. but that was from bad oysters. they almost died.

fish, you'd just as soon trash it.

eat the pork and let me know how it goes. problem is, if mentally you cant enjoy it, youre better off feeding it to the dog. the smell test is not foolproof but if it stinks, find a pet to cheer up.

8. KyleK

I was just about to post this but was looking for a link. I cook mine to 140 now.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

raw vegetables are often the contaminated source but no one ever considers it.

which is bad because i eat mostly raw vegetables and hardly even wash them.

i think im immune for the most part because of it. or just really lucky.

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

a few episodes of food poisoning have me hyper paranoid about leaving food out, so i would have thrown it away. i still have flashbacks of the worst case of food poisoning i have ever had. it was from eating seafood in omaha, nebraska, the night before the first lsu game at the 2009 cws. i practically crawled from the car to the stadium i was so weak. thank god it was the late game or i probably wouldnt have managed that.

as was pointed out while i was laying on the bathroom floor dying, dont eat seafood if there isnt an ocean around. lesson learned there!