How does Mullen firing affect LSU hiring new HC?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Nov 21, 2021.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Baylor isn’t exactly a traditional B12 power. I like him better than Riley because I think there is more substance and less illusion. Plus, TCU looked pretty good v Baylor. The little QB y’all had was balling despite Baylor being in position multiple times.

But as mctiger said, no perfect candidate.

2. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Mctiger also said "the one with the least objectionable warts is...Napier"

Warts or lack of them, has nothing to do with it, imo. We're not talking coaches with massive optics problems like an Art Briles or a Hugh Freeze. I've heard very few people on this or any board speak badly about Aranda or Napier.

I guess I missed the part we're Napier was a Championship DC at LSU & has his team, Baylor a perrenial loser, in the AP & Coaches Top 10 in year 2 of his employment. Not to mention giving LSU our 1st ever Butkus Award winner in LB Devin White.

Apu Ika went to play for Aranda at Baylor. Apu has had the same Defensive coach his entire career so far. Continuity. Likely high round draft pick. Do you really blame him after his O & Pelini experience? Aranda seems pretty good at the tranfer portal.

Dave Aranda:
    Total Offense # 24
    Total Defense # 38

*Signature win over then #4 ranked Oklahoma, to some extent Texas & beating Matt Campbell at Iowa St.

Billy Napier:
    Total Offense # 65
    Total Defense # 42

*Not sure on signature wins, maybe Appy State, this season.

UL Lafeyette schedule
    https://ragincajuns.com/sports/football/schedule/2021

Odds: (SportsLine)
    • Dave Aranda Even
    • Billy Napier +250
    • Matt Campbell +500
    • Other +1000

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sp...her-finalists-billy-napier-matt-campbell/amp/

Does LSU's AD really want ESPN & Michigan alumni Jim Nagy the Senior Bowl director to "Help & advise" him to act fast on Napier in case of a UF shark bite? Is that Nagy's job at the Senior Bowl or on ESPN network now? Is Napier on sale in a Black Friday sale at CoachMart.com?

Napier's agent is putting a bum rush on Napier's "Sudden value". Finebaum is not the first to question this sudden rush either.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  3. lsu-i-like

I don’t think Napier will be coach at LSU or Florida. Some would have you believe Florida is all in. I agree with you that it’s likely someone in the Napier camp pushing that narrative. Napier’s only championship (in the sunbelt, of all places) is a co-championship last year; if not for Covid they’d have had a second chance at Coastal Carolina. That’s an asterisk at best.

Not a peep about the Coastal Carolina coach, who shared the sunbelt championship with ULL last year, defeated ULL in season, and was undefeated until their bowl (34-37 loss to Liberty).

2021 Coastal Carolina
    Total offense: 7
    Total defense: 19

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    Perple likes this.
  4. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

LSU has Title IX rape allegations around its throat . Hugh Feeeze with hookers on his speed dial ain’t gonna happen.

Perple likes this.
  5. TigerFan90

TigerFan90 Too far away from home

USL/ULL alum friend of mine is feeling like Napier is going to FU.

6. Swerved

Swerved It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

I'd be strangely comfortable with it... He's a no-nonsense guy who has basically adapted Saban's process and made it his own. No off-field issues, and from what I hear he runs a very tight ship and his players respect the shit out of him, to boot. He's not the big name everyone wants, but neither was the anointed one when he came here from Michigan St... With that said he is not first on my list but it wouldn't be the first time that I got a gift for Christmas I didn't want above all else, but was happy to have it in the long run.

Hou-duco, shane0911 and rockwallfan like this.
  7. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

Word is it's almost a done deal. Apparently, he was their No. 1 target and they're not wasting any time getting it done.

shane0911 likes this.
  8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I predict that we regret not pulling the trigger in the end.

furduknfish likes this.
  9. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

We may have indeed "pulled the trigger" already. Problem is nobody around here knows who the target is.:eek:

TigerFan90 and lsu-i-like like this.
  10. lsu-i-like

Nah