How do I cook a steak without a grill?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by mobius481, Jan 21, 2013.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Well you are quite wrong sir. We do in fact care, very much.

fanatic likes this.
  2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I stand corrected. ;)

3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Incorrect. While it rests the "juice" draws up into the cut. This is not simply a matter of preference or a technique. It's an indisputable, scientific fact. It is true that meat will continue to cook after it has been pulled from the fire which is why you pull it just before it reaches the optimum temperature so that while you let it rest it does not cook too long.

There is such a thing as leaving it to rest for too long. At a certain point it's not resting. It's just getting cold while the person who will be consuming the meat grows hungry. :D

4. owenhopkins

owenhopkins Freshman

5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

The whole assumption of this article is that the preparer of the steak prepares the steak incorrectly to begin with. A great steakhouse does not a cook a steak ordered medium to medium. It cooks it to medium rare and rests it and allows the carryover cooking to get to medium.

This guy's own research shows an un-rested steak will have a 1/10th of a teaspoon less juice per bite. While he says that is very little loss, the truth is that is an awful lot of lost juice, and therefore lost flavor. It is simply scientific fact that rested steaks are much more juicy and therefore much more flavorful. It is culinary fact that most restaurants, especially top notch one's rest their steak.

You may prefer a less juicy and less flavorful steak, and that is fine. Nobody cares how you like your steak. All I have said is that good steakhouses, those that properly prepare steaks, those that are highly regarded by chefs and food critics, and the general populace do not serve steaks the way you like. They rest them.

6. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

To solve the resting issue, go one better. Sous Vide a 1.5" dry-aged prime steak to your perfect internal temp (132 deg). Then after it's had all that time for the fat to render and it's as tender as it's ever going to get, you cover it in kosher salt on both sides and sear it in a smoking hot pan with a highly saturated fat like bacon grease or lard. I prefer to add pepper to the sear but some feel it burns it so do whatever you like.

Top with a garlic herb compound butter.

Here is a great read. http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/ultimate-best-steak-ever-bone-in-ribeyes.html

KyleK likes this.
  7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It is simply scientific fact that the self-righteous will always be "right" and cannot allow any other viewpoints.

KyleK and fanatic like this.
  8. red55

Exactly. Bring it to me hot and I'll let it rest on my plate if I wish it.

9. red55

KyleK likes this.
  10. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

This thread is freaking awesome! Who would have thought a simple question on how to cook a piece of meat for dinner would still have raging debate after 5 months?!!

Never heard of this before Brett. Awesome, thanks!

fanatic likes this.