News Hospital released Ebola patient by mistake

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by islstl, Oct 1, 2014.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

True, but this is now two years in a row that this has happened to her. It makes me think the flu shot is total crap.

2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Well I've never taken one but everyone else in my house does. I read that even if you do get it, the vac can help lessen the effects. There are also other "side-benefits" if there is such a word. Overall statistics overwhelmingly support taking one. I'm just not the doctor office visiting type. I know they administer it at pharmacies too. I have a friend who gives them, just never have had one.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I hate going to the doctor, too. Our school district administers them free of charge at our schools. So, I get one because it's no hassle at all.

4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

So with another Doctors Without Borders physician diagnosed, this time in NY, does it make sense to require a 21-day isolation period for all care workers returning from hot zones?

And why don't we hear more about the term "viral load"? It seems this is significant in terms of transmission. It would certainly help to calm public concerns.

5. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

and you are diminishing the effectiveness of the vaccination. vaccinations work through your immune response which aspirin is reducing.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

the nurse has a "fever" below the threshold. of course, the threshold was later reduced. most of the problems are borne out of pressure from the hysterical public. the cdc's originial protocols would prevent an epidemic, may not prevent isolated infections. biology happens. our society is a bunch of spoiled, ignorant whiners.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

it is, but there is a direct correlation between load and symptoms.

but what would "help to calm public concerns"? just having sanjay say "viral load"? or is there something specific youre thinking of?

8. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

were those lab diagnoses? because two years in a row would be very bad luck. did she get the tri or quadrivalent vaccines? obviously the quad is better but the tri is still out there.

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

It just seems common sense to me that a nurse who cared for an ebola patient who was complaining of ANY symptom should be encouraged to avoid public transportation and to seek immediate medical attention. If anything, that would have been in HER best interest as well as the public's.

Yes....a correlation between load, symptoms, and potential spread to others. Here's what I see and hear....medical experts keep saying that ebola is extremely difficult to contract and active, visible symptoms must be present. And yet we see care givers wrapped up tighter than a sealed drum and they still manage to get it. That doesn't make sense to me. Clearly the viral load of a patient plays a big part in the equation. I think if the public understood the correlation and had a reason to understand WHY a seemingly protected health care worker could still get it, they might not panic or be so fearful.

Information always helps. There has been so much conflicting information and what appears to be either a protocol in need of improvement and at the very least a protocol that medical experts themselves are willing to follow.

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

absoluletly. but i bet it was the result of following an SOP. for me, the main responsibility lies with the nurse.

the two in the US got it because there was no/little decon before ppe doffing. or they were doing aerosol generating procedures-like flushing diarrhea down the toilet. if you have major symptoms, ie body fluid producing, then you are HOT! you can even be hot without major symptoms, but if you dont have projectile vomit or watery diarrhea then its hard for you to give it to someone.