Hoops Recruiting (2010)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Jun 27, 2008.

1. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Sorry if already discussed but just ran across this.

6' 11" Player Considers Transferring To UVA - NBC29

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Another Article says it is between LSU, UCLA, and UVA. Trent went to see him as soon as he was released and offered. Will visit LSU on April 9th.

3. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Yup, dropped some tidbits on the 2011 thread, since he wouldn't be eligible until then. Take a look at the Youtube dunk that Hamilton threw down on Texas. Interesting prospect, and not unlike Trent taking Malcolm White (who granted, averaged a few more points and rebounds in his soph year at Ole Miss) and giving him a transfer year to build him up. Hamilton is supposedly down to LSU, UVA (who I'd probably say is farthest from consideration), and one of the Cal schools. Cal and a late push by UCLA's Howland, might lead.

But, if the kid wants a true big man developer, he should go with Trent. Trent and Brent Scott will show their coaching stuff with White next year.

4. TGer'nLHornLand

Looks like some of the drama surrounding Bo Spencer and Sherrard Brantley will go by the way side... Brantley committed to Georgia late Wednesday night... According to Rivals:

http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1070164

Looks like the prospect of a "contingent" scholarship wasn't super high on Brantley who was also going back to his home state school... now with legit coach Mark Fox, a Trent Johnson disciple.

Let's hope that Bo can get his act together....

That said, I am still very much pulling for Justin Hamilton to enjoy his visit to Tigertown and commit to LSU. Not sure when LSU is going to get another legit shot at a 6'11" 260 lb center.... He would potentially play as a Senior next to Ricardo Gathers, folks.

5. Tom Callender

Tom Callender Founding Member

Just a question on when a player is considered under scholarship. If Mr Hamilton decides to transfer to LSU when is he under scholarship ? In other words would he count during his transfer season or would he count only the year he becomes eligible to play? I also hope Bo Spenser gets his grades in order but for some reason he sure was hard to count on last year, he had some games where he was great & some games where he seemed to not care. Some games he would not score or even shoot in the first half & then after getting a talking to would score 20 in the second half. Is it possible that he & TJ don't really get along & he may be gone for good??

6. TGer'nLHornLand

There are definitely some that would say he's gone for good. I'm not sure. But, clearly, Bo has some maturity issues, as evidenced by his handling of his injury, getting hurt again, and then, at times this season on the court. I think it's just the story of coach and player dynamics as Bo and Brady also butt heads, which led him to riding the pine after he showed glimpses of being good in his FR year. I believe if he concentrates on playing withing Trent's system, he will be a much needed asset next year.

I believe that a transfer is likely to take up a scholarship even if he is sitting out a year, but it all depends on the what is worked out between the player and the school. Like I believe Malcolm White is on scholarship this season, as he's sitting out. But, it just depends on what scholarships are available and the player's need for a scholarship. For example, if Hamilton wanted to come to LSU badly enough and had the wherewithall to pay his own way while he sat out, he could do that and then join the team on scholarship the following year on scholarship. But, that would likely dissuade a player from coming, if another school was willing to offer the "free ride" while he sat out. I would think that if Hamilton wants to come to LSU, the implicit deal would be Trent finds a way to get him the schollie, whether that's things work out b/c one of the academic casualties creates a space, or one of our current players (like Bass) moves to non-scholarship status.

7. TGer'nLHornLand

Recent interviews with Hamilton give LSU a little more of a shot... apparently, schools that are "closer" to home are not necessarily as in as a great of a need for his services. Although, his attempts to land more on on the West Coast may lead to schools like BYU, which of course in his home state of Utah. That said, I'm sure BYU has a plethora of 6'11" big kids, although there's some noise on their boards about their lack of player development among their bigs... Interesting, b/c again, of the schools and coaches recruiting him, Trent has the best record with bigs (Nick Fazekas, Lopez twins).

In the Loop: Items on Justin Hamilton, George Raveling, Tim Floyd, Larry Eustachy and Ryan Sears | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

http://www.cougarboard.com/nologin/message.html?id=5345697

8. TGer'nLHornLand

This weekend's Justin Hamilton's visit to LSU. According to a recent interview, perhaps the west coast schools are either not offering or falling from favor. Looks like it's more and more LSU vs. Virginia... Hope he likes the visit...

http://lsu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1072777

9. TGer'nLHornLand

Any word on how his visit it going? :popcorn:

If you dig a little bit further into the stats on this kid, you'll see that perhaps there is something to him. While his statistics don't jump out at you, ESPN's stat points per shot, a metric I like for offensive efficiency, is a very high 1.6+ for Justin. He turned the ball over a bit for his 6.2ppg average, but he shot a 60% from the field and 70% from the line, which probably tells you that ISU failed to take advantage of that. In addition, look at how he played in big games. Iowa State played the likes of Duke, Kansas (twice) and Baylor, and in those games, Justin averaged 10+ppg and around 7 rpg. That's certainly something that, as a sophomore with a year sitting out and further developing, Justin can build on.

If I'm him, I'm most looking at from what coaching staff can I learn more about playing the post, which university has the best athletic facilities and strength conditioning coaches to get the most out of me in that transfer year, and which team has post players I can practice against so I can get better. While I think Virginia may be an up and comer in the ACC, I would think LSU has UVA beat on most athletic accounts above. Trent actually has post men that have established themselves in the NBA... really can't say that for Bennett. And, Justin should get a full dose of how Malcolm White has taken advantage of his transfer situation this year.

In what looks more and more like a two horse race, I'm starting to hope we really get this guy... :geauxtige :bball::LSU231:

10. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member