Hoops Recruiting (2010)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Jun 27, 2008.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

As we also look back at the '10 recruiting season, we look at what could go down as not a stellar, but relatively deep class.

The Top 28 HS tourney continues today and there is no shortage of '10 recruits represented. LSU fans will likely pay most attention to Matt Derenbecker (Country Day) and Ricardo Gathers (Riverside). But, Country Day plays Christian Life, and we'll see how Langston Galloway looks. Matt likely won't play opposite Langston, but we'll see who wills their team to victory. Also represented will be another LSU recruit who ultimately chose to go to Oklahoma State and follow Butch Pierre, Markel Brown (Peabody), whose team knocked out another Ok St signee, Brian Williams (Glen Oaks). I see that Markel may have grown a little bit this season (now listed at 6'5"?). Of all of the LSU recruits that Trent did not get (or, to be fair, did not go after as hard), he's the one that I sort of liked. Very athletic, offensive and defensive minded, with mad hops. The Ralston Turner-Markel Brown debate will rage on over the next few years, I believe. Besides these guys, there'll be several other Div 1 guys playing ball in the tourney, including JJ Thomas (Scotlandville), Cedric Jenkins (uncommitted). LSU is squarely focused on 2012 now, though.

2theadvocate.com | Sports | Boys state basketball titles on line tonight — Baton Rouge, LA

http://highschoolsports.nola.com/ne...y-day-advances-to-class-1a-championship-game/

2. TGer'nLHornLand

Country Day lost to CLA yesterday. Derenbecker outduals Langston Galloway in the battle of top recruits (24 points vs. 7), but CLA had the deeper team effort. I think folks will be pleasantly surprised with Derenbecker over the years at LSU. I'm not promising a CJ like Freshman year, but there's something about kids that do well in high school and are winners. They typically do well in college. The kid can shoot, and he understands the game. If he can improve his physicality (and like Ludwig, he'll have to bulk up and get stronger, quicker), he has a chance to contribute next year.

Gathers has another very good game (23 pts), as Riverside Academy won their title game easily.

Pat Swilling Jr leads Brother Martin to their title by 1 over Scotlandville.

Wasn't able to get the stats on Markel Brown as of early this morning....

3. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Just wanted to thank you TGer'nHornland for keeping us updated on basketball recruiting your really appreciated.

4. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

Derenbecker was a little off with his shot in the championship game but I have seen him play in person several times and he can shoot it.
    One thing is when he gets to LSU he won't be asked to do nearly as much as he was at Country Day where he pretty much did everything so that should help him out a lot.

5. TGer'nLHornLand

No problem--it's my pleasure. Especially when Trent is actually signing guys and top 10 classes!

Btw, here's the wrap up on the Top 28. Link to an article on Peabody's last game of the tourney, title win over Bossier. Markel Brown came up big at the end of the game, with a dunk to go ahead, a block shot on d. Link has a wrap up and some footage.

Unblemished: Peabody attains perfect season | theadvertiser.com | The Advertiser

6. artichokes

artichokes Founding Member

It appears that we aren't done with this class just yet, as interest with JUCO freshman Sherrard Brantley is picking up. A Rivals article says he will choose a school after visiting us, then Georgia, then Creighton.

My gut feeling says Georgia, but I'd love to add even more backcourt scoring. The question is collateral damage - who will be kicked off the current team to make room for Sherrard? I guess we should wait and see where he wants to go before we start guessing.

7. TGer'nLHornLand

This coming hot off the presses from Rivals. Brantley visited LSU this past weekend, and seemed to enjoy it. But, visits to Georgia and Creighton are in the works, and he won't be wrapped up until April 8-9th.

Here's the report from Rivals:

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1068573

Could be very interesting....

8. TGer'nLHornLand

Wow, again. Now reports coming out of LSU are that Bo Spencer is suspended indefinitely from the mens' team due to academic reasons.... There's the math, and there's the great need for Brantley.

Talk about getting serious PT immediately. What is Spencer thinking?! :huh: :nope:

9. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I'm not sure this frees up a scholly. Is Bo still going to be at LSU and on scholarship while his suspension plays out? If so there is still no room for Brantly.

I also noticed that all walk ons have been released and will be allowed to try out next year. This seems funny. It seems you would want to keep guys like Populist and Kinsely around.

10. TGer'nLHornLand

Answered this is in the Tiger's Den, but this is a fluid situation. There isn't currently a schollie for Brantley, but it will all depend on the situation come two weeks from now. If Bo is not near to getting his act together in a few weeks, he'll lose his schollie, or at least Trent will make the call that Bo will lose his schollie for 2010-11. Likely then, Brantley will have a schollie for next year.

Moreover, as mentioned, there are only 6 out of 8 returning players that are "for sure" on the roster. One of those "not definites" is Bo, the other is a mystery.

Listen to Trent's audio press conference on the walk-ons. He's a big believer that walk-ons opportunities are only available to those that try out and he'll have try outs in the fall. There are also only "16" lockers, and 13 scholarship players, and so 3 walk-ons are the max. He's already said Taylor Jacobsen is not coming back, Chris Beattie is likely to pursue job stuff and not basketball, and that leaves Kinsley and Populist. Good chance that both try out again, and Trent is likely to be persuaded to have them be walk-ons again, if they want that. As I posted before, it needs to make sense for them too, considering you've got 4 very good perimeter players coming into the fold next year.