Hoops Recruiting (2007-2008)

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Nov 27, 2006.

1. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Is this unsigned PG SEC Caliber?

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLuMoxhKDdc&feature=related
    [/MEDIA]

2. pjnchamps

We should be able to sign Keith Gallon especially if he is now saying Miss State is his leader.

3. artichokes

artichokes Founding Member

4. pjnchamps

yeah that's him I think he really wants to go to Kentucky also.

5. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Their program has a legacy of cheating and this just continues on with it. Bottom line is you simply can't recruit players who've signed LOI's, whether you do it through their AAU coaches or not.

Wooden might be dirtier than Bear Bryant.

6. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

nice little video. but the kid's not even mentioning LSU. :nope:

and, am i the only one that noticed that there was no highlight of him passing the ball for an assist? :wink: honestly, not sure that's the kind pf kid that CTJ has recruited at point historically.

But, it does tell you that there are decent unsigned kids out there that do exist. I wonder for example how this kid compares to Chris Bass who's probably LA's top unsigned PG. Bass is supposed to be a pretty physical PG who gets teammates involved...

7. pjnchamps

Chris Bass has game wouldn't mind him getting a look

8. TGer'nLHornLand

To change the topic slightly, the spring signing period for non-football sports is wrapped up, and with the loss of Bobo Morgan, it goes without saying that LSU's top 20 class has taken a huge hit.

Van Coleman has come out with his ratings of classes (see: CSTV.com: #1 in College Sports), and as I was cruising through it, I was asking myself the question of how do CTJ and crew turn this around, establish recruiting momentum and differentiate themselves from the Brady bunch regime. Say what you will about the Brady bunch, but they were decent recruiters.

That said, they didn't seem to really have a lock down on LA. Maybe that's historic. But, the premise in football/baseball seems obvious, right? Why should a LA kid who's a promising Div 1 prospect leave the state if he can go to LSU?

2008 was an interesting case in point. If LSU had locked up the following guys...

Greg Monroe (G'Town)(PF)
    Terrance Henry (Ole Miss)(PF)
    Brandon Moore (Arkansas)(PF/C)
    Brandon Wilson (Ole Miss)(SG)
    Leonard Washington (USC)(SF)

We probably have a top 20 class by itself--instead we only got one LA kid, Storm Warren (PF). Now, I think it's naive to think that basketball is like football and baseball where these kids grow up wanting to play ball at LSU (it's also hard to control what positions these kids play--this year we had several post options vying for the LSU's affections), but it's the stated strategy of CTJ. Convince these LA kids to play for LSU. It certainly didn't hurt in 2006, where most of our final four team came from the near Baton Rouge area.

So, here's the question. Can CTJ, Keith Richard and Donny G, throw that fence around the LA borders? If so, what are they going to do differently from CJB and Butch? Do folks have a sense whether CTJ will be received much like CLM was perceived versus CNS (i.e., better)?

:geauxtige LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. BE A FAN.

9. artichokes

artichokes Founding Member

10. TGer'nLHornLand

Wow, 'chokes. If this happens, I'm actually going to be kind of excited. First, Bobo leaving hurts, but honestly, I felt like we had too many post signings anyway. Second, LA puts out some very underrated guards... take DMitch, Ryan Francis, Bo McCaleb (I mean even Marcus Thornton wasn't super highly recruited out of HS) for example.

Everything I've read about Chris Bass is the kid is a great athlete, hustles hard, penetrates and takes the ball to the rack and is "right under" the radar. Sure, he may not be a top 150 kid, but right now, we're not deep in the future at guard, and you can never underestimate a quick, athletic defensive minded guard that can cause match up issues for a offense. I think he will contribute more than people realize.

Third, you can't help but like this from a LA PR standpoint. Brother of Brandon Bass, a kid that left a little early from LSU, but represents the school well now in the NBA. Establishes that link to NBA lines, and shows that LSU can be a place for good, solid kids from LA that want to play at the highest stage in LA college athletics. He's also someone that I think CTJ can mold (he's done that with other point guards in his time).

I hope this pans out, folks. Don't know if this is the players doing the recruiting or the staff, but I've been calling it for a while now, and glad someone is paying attention! :)

:geauxtige LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL. BE A PART OF THE TRENT JOHNSON ERA.