Hooker debate

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUgirlinTx, Jul 6, 2007.

1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

No disagreement from me. I meant anti-pros for me.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

me too, i can barely make small-talk conversation with a normal person. with a stripper i am strugglin, and with a prostitute, ouch, get me out of there. it is tough to talk to somebody you are paying to perform a degrading service for you. like when you call a plumber to come clean up your poo clogged terlet.

3. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

http://www.right-to-life.org/Prostitution.htm

This paints a pretty damning and devastating portrait of the industry. It is interesting that the madam stated the girls don't get into prostitution to support their drug habits, they go into drugs after they become prostitutes, in order to dull the physical and psychological pain. That is incredibly sad.

This is not selling toasters. It is much more complicated, because the product is an integral part of the human being. The conclusion of the article seems to be that it should not be legalized, that legalization did not help the girls out. This is from N. Zealand, and they examine the effects from cities that had legalized it.

1 person likes this.
  4. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

This is just another example of the morality club wanting to push their beliefs on everyone else. It's perfectly legal to have as much sex with as many partners as you can find, but accept money from one of them and you are a criminal.

Why anyone cares about someone freely selling sex is beyond me.

5. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

If you go to the original post, girlinTx asked if it was immoral, not whether it should be illegal or not. Those are two very different questions. I stated earlier I think it should be legalized, and I believe it is immoral because of the psychological damage it does to the women involved. My post just above this pretty clearly shows that after extensive study by professionals, all prostitutes suffer deep psychological damage. I don't care if its legal or illegal, people will do it, just as they have for centuries. You can't stop it.

Just because people can do it because its legal does not mean that its moral. Clearly it is harmful to the woman psychologically, and for that reason, I believe it is immoral, even if you can do it legally as in Nevada.

Why does anyone care? Love your neighbor as yourself is one reason. If you care about the society you live in, you make it better by making each person better. If prostitution is damaging people psychologically, they are getting worse, not better. Therefore, the society is regressing, not getting better.

It all boils down to "do you think psychologically damaging people is ok". I don't. I think that is immoral. It may be legal, or it may be illegal, depending on the location you are in, but it is always immoral to do something you know will psychologically damage the other person.

What morality club do you think I am in? I just found some research by mental health professionals based on interviews over a long term that says its psychologically damaging to the women. What club is that?

1 person likes this.
  6. martin

martin Banned Forever

i dunno how you can say "all". i am certain there are prostitutes who are able to perform their work with the same kind of indifference as a bricklayer or chef or anything else.

7. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

I was quoting the article above, researched over long periods by professionals:

This was not my opinion. Maybe you can find some research that shows there are prostitutes who can do their work with the same indifference as a bricklayer. I don't think so, its all still connected to the brain. But it was not my opinion, you should read the article.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

it should be apparent to you that a researcher cannot actually know the state of every prostitute.

9. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

You are just picking a nit. Are you going to try and move from this statement to the position that my posts have no validity because my quoted professional cannot actually know the state of every prostitute, therefore, I am wrong and prostitution is therefore moral, without producing any research to back up what your opinion?

You are just picking a nit. It has nothing to do with the overall weight of the research I have posted.

If you want to assert that prostitution is moral, which is what the thread is about, then post an opinion and give some reasons, or post some research from some responsible professionals.

But this is just nit picking. The professionals made the statement, and for all you know, they are correct. You don't know for a fact that there are any prostitutes who have not been psychologically damaged, which is what the people most involved in the research have stated to be the case, you are just guessing. I'll go with the professionals.

10. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

You answered this question in your post:

That is pushing your moral beliefs on others. What if your neighbor disagrees with your morals or don't want your help?

Is drinking alcohol an immoral act? That certainly leads to psychological problems. How about people who eat too much that leads to obesity that can lead to psychological problems. Is overeating immoral?