Guitar Players Thread

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by Bengal B, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Perple

Perple Founding Member

I know that exact pain @Herb. Always seems to happen when you're being super careful. Still, a beautiful guitar, scratch or not.

Herb likes this.
  2. Herb

Herb Founding Member

The good news is that it is worse in my mind than it actually is and it is on the back of the guitar. I'll look into seeing if it can largely be buffed out.
    The better news is that the guitar sounds and plays just as good - if not better - than it looks. Eastman makes a line with laminated tops that you can find in stores through their dealer network (like the T846). If you have a chance to pick one up, check it out.

The all solid line are hard to find in stock and I heard from 2 stores that lead times are 10 months out right now.

Perple and shane0911 like this.
  3. Perple

Perple Founding Member

4. Perple

Perple Founding Member

I like this one. No frills, no 10 Top, just a real bone nut & thosee incredible
    [​IMG]

5. Perple

Perple Founding Member

I like this one. No frills, no 10 Top, just a real bone nut & thosee incredible
    [​IMG]

6. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Oops! Sorry for the double senseless post. I didn't know it posted at all, as I changed my mind. Just thought it was a cool guitar.

7. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Another nice one. "Bourbon Burst"

[​IMG]

shane0911 likes this.
  8. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Nobody wanted to buy an Eric Clapton owned Strat for $1 million & these 2 can't figure out why. Obviously 2 disappointed salesmen or auctioneers.

My Opinion:

Eric Clapton became a 'Guitar God" when he was playinig in Cream. Oops! For the many Brits reading this, "The Cream", so sorry, right then. White Room, Sunshine of your Love, Badge, Crossroads, Tales of Brave Ulysses, Strange Brew etc.

What was Clapton playing in Mayall's Bluesbreakers, The Yardbirds & The Cream, Blind Faith & did the solo on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" on The Beatles White album? A Gibson Les Paul, with a Gibson PAF Humbuckers. Not single coil Fender Stratocasters with maple fretboards.

Clapton had success with Layla & Duane Allman - Derek & the Dominoes. Allman playing a Gibson Les Paul & Clapton using both a Strat & a Les Paul on the Layla album. The famous opening Layla riff was played by Duane Allman, along with the blistering slide solos.

Clapton wanted to become a better song writer. "Using the Stratocaster, I've put the guitar back into perspective, an accompaniment instrument'" - Eric Clapton

Results varied. Wonderful Tonight, Lay Down Sally, Cocaine, The Core, Change the World, I Shot The Sheriff, Bad Love, Tears in Heaven, etc.

There are 2 Claptons. The younger '60s Clapton that played his Les Paul plugged into a Marshall stack. The older, more bluesy Clapton plays a Strat plugged into a mic'd small Fender club size amp. One is not like the other.

Reason #2. David Gilmour had the first Strat with a recorded Fender serial number. That is real guitar history. Making it infinitely more valuable than any Strat Clapton owns. It fetched well over $3 million.

Put one of Clapton's old Gibsons played during the Bluesbreakers & Cream era, put that up for auction.

Last edited: May 13, 2023
  9. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Damn, forgot "The Fool", Clapton's Paisley Gibson SG, another he used in The Cream.Todd Rundgren had it after him for decades.

10. Perple

Perple Founding Member

One last picture. 2023 Les Paul Standard.
    [​IMG]
    Still being Made in America.

shane0911 likes this.