FREE AGENCY CARNAGE

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Mar 11, 2014.

1. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Not you specifically, but it's a webpage that updates several times a day from the NFL Players Association. I thought it would be interesting to share. I also lists the amount carried over from last year's cap, too. That's rarely discussed.

2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I actually started following this one as it's up to date and official NFL.

Saints will be $2.068 million under the cap after signing Bush. We need about $1.3-$1.7 million in cap space to sign the rookies.

So we are officially set for the draft as it stands now.

The only thing I see us doing to get more cap is to sign Graham long term (I fully expect this to get done before the season starts). That would create about $3.5 million more cap space. Besides that is convincing Bunkley to take a paycut. That could easily create another $2 million.

I still think the Saints end up signing another 2-3 free agents.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  4. MLUTiger

Agreed. I think they will at the very least signed a Center and possibly a receiver.

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

There were rumors last week that Goodwin might re-sign with the Saints. If so, that would be HUGE. However, I don't think we can afford him because money is the reason he left in the first place. Plus if true, it probably would have already happened. Would still love to see it happen though, but it won't.

In other FA news, Lance Moore signed a 2yr contract with the Steelers.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2014/03/new_orleans_saints_free_agent_19.html

6. islstl

Goodwin has maybe 1 or 2 servicable years left. Word is he was pretty underwhelming this past season with the 49ers after having a couple of really good years in 2011 and 2012.

I think we could sign him for cheap, especially if we guarantee him 1 year.

One name to keep in mind is a guy named Ohrnberger from San Diego (FA). He played some center late last year due to injury and was said to have played pretty solidly. He would be cheap.

I don't want to go into the draft with such a gaping hole at center. It forces us to possibly draft someone and "reach".

7. MLUTiger

Goody won't command the same salary as when he first signed with the Saints. He will probably sign for less than DLP. I think the Saints might not even worry about the position until after the draft, even with the unproven Lelito on the roster as the sole Center. Grubbs and Evans have been picking up the slack since Goodwin left. Another year won't kill them. There are more than a handful of quality Centers in the draft this year, though.

Happy to see Lance catch on with a quality franchise like the Steelers. They just got an upgrade. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him catch for 1k yards.

8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Saints matched Atlanta's offer sheet to Rafael Bush, so he remains a Saint.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  9. islstl

Bunkley gets the massive paycut I was figuring on.

Saints save $2.85 million off the cap and Bunkley keeps the deal the same for the remaining 2 years. He now has a chance to prove himself worthy of the $4.4 million base salary for 2015 and 2016. The likelihood is that he will not, so he'll just keep getting renotiated into another massive paycut next year.

Saints now at a very healthy $3.59 million under the cap, which is more than the projected $3.1 million needed for the draft picks that make the team, UDFAs and the 52nd and 53rd contracts that make the team (@ $420K a piece).

We will sign Graham long term, giving up double the current amount of cap space.

Look for Goodwin to be signed.

10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member