FREE AGENCY CARNAGE

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Cajun Sensation, Mar 11, 2014.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Exactly right and that's another MO of Loomis. Wait until FA market stabilizes with some of the bigger names signing, then try to bargain hunt with what's left. It doesn't always work, but it does more often than not and is very smart.

Saint killer Steve Smith is also done in Carolina, according to his agent. I like that even better. Wish we could get him, but that would be almost impossible unless he would take less for a chance at a ring.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10595219/steve-smith-finished-carolina-panthers-agent-says

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I can see Smith in New England, actually.

They have a lot of young receivers and could use a veteran presence.

I would like to see us go after Julian Edelman. He caught 105 passes when pressed into duty as a starter for the 1st time in his career.

Perfect move the chains kinda guy. Perfect replacement for Moore. And he's only 27.

3. islstl

The team averaged 38 points per game during the regular season and averaged half that total in the playoffs. If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know about Peyton Manning and the playoffs, then I have nothing to offer you. He will ultimately be the problem.

4. fanatic

I agree. He is the same type of a WR as Moore. He a FA? I'm not sure we can get him for less than what we were paying Moore though.

5. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I think Santonio Holmes might be in reach. The Saints want to add a playmaker. SH has just enough gas in the tank to give a season or two and I don't see anyone knocking down the door to sign him, so his price might not be that high. Loomis also needs to be looking around at Centers and DBs. There are some huge holes on the team right now, depth-wise. I hate going into the draft with this many holes.

Some of the details for Byrd's contract have leaked. 6-years, $54 million and $26 million of it is guaranteed. His cap number for this season?

$3.5 million

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  6. islstl

Edelman has no real track record except for last year. That's what is going to make him so cheap. If he were 24, that would be different. But in a couple of years he is pushing 30, so the long term investment even at 27 isn't that great.

This is being hailed as one of the best and deepest WR draft classes in history. So there's that. WRs are being hurt by this and the price for them is going down in FA.

5 WRs have signed so far out of about 62 free agent WRs. 5 others re-signed with their teams.

Saints should invite Edelman in.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  7. fanatic

That number balloons to $15m next year. If you think the housecleaning was bad this year, wait until then. But, if anyone can find a way around it, it's Loomis.

8. islstl

It's actually $10.3 million.

9. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

10. islstl