Flashback to the off-season

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Robidoux87, Oct 1, 2017.

1. dachsie

dachsie Veteran Member

Can you name some of them? Or was that just a smokescreen Alleva put out there? If other coaches had been considered, their names would have come out. Look at what Herman's agent did - put it out that he was going to accept the LSU job to spur tu to fire Strong and hire him. If others had been looked at, we would have heard it

StaceyO, Pjoe and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I think I remember hearing Fleck, Fedora, and others.

3. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

I remember the media tossing around names, I don't remember hearing about LSU actually reaching out to anybody other than Jimbo and Herman. Was it even confirmed we reached out to Jimbo or Sexton?

We hired O on November 26th! We didn't give the search ANY TIME!

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Say hi to @LSUDad for me ;)

5. lsu-i-like

Alleva had all year. I presume back-channels were happening throughout. Scuttlebut that contact was made with several and many were not impressive.

6. Pjoe

Pjoe Formally Known as $TigerFan$

I agree 100%! I was not crazy about the hire or the process used to find the right coach, but I'm still willing to give him a chance. The whole thing from start to finish was blundered by the administration. If he's your guy then fine, but as an unproven winner with such a sketchy past, sign him with the option to prove himself. Incentives would have been more appropriate than buyout money.

LSU_4_LIFE and lsu-i-like like this.
  7. LSU_4_LIFE

That could make sense, but why the expensive buyout? He had to convince the fans he supported Coach O?

8. Pjoe

Pjoe Formally Known as $TigerFan$

This is right, every agent puts it out there to create the bidding war! He would being doing a disservice to his client if he fails to maximize profit. Even if there is zero interest in leaving their school they make it known they are in demand. 3 names = 3 contacted!

9. lsu-i-like

What would it say about the hire with a backout clause, effectively? Seems like a vote of confidence. I don't think it should be $12M, but if it's truly $5M at January 2018, I'm less bothered by it.

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  10. LSU_4_LIFE

It would say what we all thought. We hired an unproven coach that if indeed we did hold him accountable for his past coaching stint he shouldn't get the job to begin with. That if he proves himself after a year we will secure his position and future with the program. Meanwhile, he was already our coach no other programs were chomping at the bit to take him away and there was no reason to double down so early.

lsu-i-like likes this.