Five Guys Burgers

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Krypto, Sep 27, 2010.

1. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Exactly my point. I'm in Tulsa right now and the best place to get any seafood around here is Red Lobster. I'd take Ralph's in a second over that. If you compare everything to the best places in NOLA then yeah BR sucks. But, compared to almost every other city in the US it's pretty damn good.

1 person likes this.
  2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I spent a year in Jackson Minnesota and ate well while I was there. Baton Rouge just has no truly local cuisine the way cajun country or New Orleans does. Everything is a knock off and better anything can be had within an hours drive.

3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Dude, really? C'mon Man! You expect us to drive an hour out, eat, and an hour back? After living in Wichita Falls for 9 years, where there was only 2 decent restaurants, I LOVE being back in south LA. When we would come back to BR, we always (among many other places) would get a shrimp poboy at PoBoy Express on Sharp/Sherwood. This is below average for NO, but a 10 compared to any poboy we could get in WF. It's all about perspective. Baton Rouge has so many restaurants per capita compared to WF. The difference is, in WF, they were all chains. In BR, a much greater % are not, and the food is far superior to the chains. Sure, it doesn't compare to the finest NO eateries. However, for a lunch poboy from PoBoy Express, or a Michael B Searce from the Vineyard, or boudin from the gas station, BR, and south La in general, has food that is far superior to anywhere else I have ever lived.

Move away for 10 years. I promise, your perspective will change.

1 person likes this.
  4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Five Guys just opened here in Lake Charles and I've been three times in the month since it's opened. Very good! I discovered ordering online. It's a frigging zoo in there so now I order online and just go pick it up.

5. CaseyLSU

CaseyLSU Founding Member

I saw that. Decent location, too. Do they have a drive thru for online orders?

6. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

No drive thru but all you have to do is walk in and pick up your burger if you order and pay online. I did it today, it was simple.

7. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

That's what my wife and I say all of the time. When we travel, we typically do not do it for the cuisine.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

i am kinda stupid in that i love everything i eat, but i really think the chimes is pretty damn good.

if i am honest i admit i dont even mind chilis. i like those crazy eggrolls and also the fajitas. plus as i recall the beer is extremely cheap there.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Like most places there is always something that they do good. I like the burgers at Chili's but never the chili.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

never had a bad meal at the chimes and we eat there all the time. in fact, its usually pretty awesome.

although the etouffee isnt great.