ESPN's Chris Lowe: "Shepard too dynamic to keep off the field"

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by Andouille, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Andouille

Andouille Guest

Shepard too dynamic to keep off the field
    March 26, 2009 6:40 PM
    Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low

BATON ROUGE, La. -- I had a chance to watch true freshman Russell Shepard throw the ball during the early part of LSU's practice Thursday.
    My thoughts, in a nutshell, are these: His arm is plenty strong enough to be effective at quarterback in the SEC. He made all the throws, and there wasn't a huge difference in the velocity on his passes as compared to Jordan Jefferson and Jarrett Lee.

Shepard is listed at 6-1, and that might be a tad generous. But his jaw-dropping athletic ability (Go watch some of his high school videos) will make up for any lack of size.
    The LSU coaches will be the first to tell you that he still has to work on his touch and his accuracy, and then there's the challenge of effectively managing the offense.

But going through spring practice gives Shepard a chance. He's such a difference-maker as an athlete that he's going to be on the field somewhere.

1 person likes this.
  2. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

I'm liking what I'm hearing about his arm so far based on his practice performances. We could be looking at a right handed Pat White with a better supporting cast. Prepare to be dominated, College Football.

3. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

What are the odds of him staying all 4 years?

4. Pringle

Pringle FUSC and FND

Depends on how they use him, cause if its at quarterback then he will stay all four because he isn't a NFL prototype passer at 6' but if they use him as a WR and other ways then he has the potential to leave earlier if he demonstrates the ability to produce in the NFL game, think Pat White and Tim Tebow not going to the NFL early versus Reggie Bush and Percy Harvin not staying for 4 years

5. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

He'll be here all 4 I think. I don't see a leader like him leaving.

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20090329/SPORTS/90328011

7. gely33

gely33 Here I Stand

I love shepard as much as anybody on this board,but to say that his throwing skills are the velocity on his ball is comparable to Jefferson's is down right ludacris.we definately need him on the field but not over jefferson see u guys april 18th

8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

I don't see anyone saying that Shep should start over JJ.

As for velocity, the article was written by someone who has actually seen him throw during practices. I have seen the same on the videos provided by Scout.

He is behind JJ and Lee in terms of throwing the ball but what do you expect from a recruit who is here before a majority of the rest of his class even arrives.

Lee has been throwing a better ball in individual drills over JJ but JJ has the reads down better and control of the huddle.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Ludicrous.

10. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Yeah. He's a looser.

1 person likes this.