ESPN: Saints d had "bounty" programs

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by mctiger, Mar 2, 2012.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

According to WWL this morning, the real kicker is on the video version. In reference to one of these big hits he's calling for, he allegedly holds up his hand and rubs his fingers together in that "I've got money" gesture, and says "I've got the first one." His career may very well be over.

2. mctiger

On the other hand, the Saints could theoretically use this in defending the players, maybe even the entire franchise. You now have GW on tape talking about specific players to target in very specific ways. Now someone who has way more time on their hands than me (not to mention a tape of the game) can go back and conclusively prove if they really went after Crabtree's knee, or Williams' head. If not, it reinforces the argument that this is just locker room talk and does nothing to effect the way the games were played.

3. mctiger

Darren Woodson just now on ESPN: "90% of that speech is heard in every locker room every week." He only objects to the specific naming of players and body parts.

So I just heard the audio on ESPN; they put game highlights over the audio. And they made the point I was making in the previous comment. You would think if there is video of the Saints hitting Crabtree's knee, or Williams' head, they would have shown it. Nothing.

And hearing the portion where he's talking about "hitting the head, affect the head, continue to touch the head." He's clearing speaking about Frank Gore, metaphorically, as "the head" of the 49er offense, and that the object is to pound the guy. Not specifically hitting him in the head during or after the play. Again, exactly what every NFL defense tries to do every week to the opponent's best player. And again, ESPN showed no video that would support anything dirty going on in the game.

4. mctiger

Former NFL quarterback Tim Hasselbeck commented from his twitter account on the audio from former New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.
    Here are some of his tweets:
    in light the the gregg williams audio. i don't think i was ever on a team where a coach didn't mention an opposing players injury. #reality
    speeches like that can be heard across the league. sounds brutal outside the boundaries of a teams facility, but it's the standard.
    if a corner has a hamstring injury you make him run. test him early & then test him again after the half...no different w/ other injuries.
    if he had a concussion you want to see how willing he is to tackle your rb. that's how it works. sounds harsh but it's part of strategy.
    & acl comment not standard.but not totally uncommon. the other aspects of that speech are the standard across the league.
    never said it was ok. said never on a team that didn't talk about opponent injuries.head,ribs,hamstring..why were we being told about them?

5. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

Gregg Williams will be banned for this. Goodell got his little g-string wadded up in his lady parts and needs a scapegoat.

Seems like it's never had anything to do with player safety. It had to do with Goodell's ego and the power trip he's on.

KyleK likes this.
  6. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

please point out how and where and when they cheated in the super bowl? do you consider intercepting a pass "cheating"?
    And please point out to me (a huge saints fan and i don't miss a game) which players the saints hurt that year...because I don't remember any player coming off the field against them.
    thanks.

7. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

They ended Kurt Warner's career, and tried to with Brett Favre. Watch the tape.

8. mctiger

The hit on Warner was 100% clean; no flags, no fines, no nothing, and rightfully so. Lost in all the hoop-la about the "remember me" shots Favre took in the NFCC were a helmet-to-helmet on Drew Brees and a play where one of the Vikes D-lineman got him by the leg and gave it a nice extra twist. Watch the tape. Neither hit was called. Brees walked away from those hits because he's young and in shape. Favre was old at the time, and he still managed to finish the game and play another season.

9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Not to mention that both Favre and Warner said "that's football, no big deal" when asked about the bounties.

10. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

That's why I'm buying an official NFL authentic Brett Farve Green Bay Packers jersey that retails for $125 from the bread man for forty (under the table) dollars thus by passing the NFL's intellectual property rights.

Brett is "da man".