.....Emerald Green and Lemon Yellow.....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by GiantDuckFan, Sep 9, 2011.

1. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

"What an Upset.!

APPTiger likes this.
  2. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

it's cool seeing those old NFL vids, we all here share a common link i think, we all remember our first super bowl,.. my football history goes back to 1965, the season before the first super bowl i think,.. that year rooting for the 49ers i saw my only NFL game, Detroit Lions, clobbered the, LA Rams, in the coliseum

3. Buzz69

Buzz69 Freshman

I remember the Packers of the late 60s with Starr, Horning, Taylor, & Nitschke with Vince coaching. I think they were the best team of that era.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  4. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Me too. My first real memory of the NFL is of Johnny Unitas and the Baltimore Colts. He played with a flair that was unequaled. He basically invented the pro passing game with Raymond Berry. I hated Green Bay because they were a machine with no soul.

kcal likes this.
  5. kluke

kluke Founding Member

I liked Green Bay because my Dad did; my Dad liked them because Jimmy Taylor (Duck - he was a great Tiger running back) was on the team. In the 'its a small world category' 20 years later I financed construction equipment for his former wife.

We were also Cowboy fans (I've hated them since they became Jerry's team). Then finally the Saints got a franchise. The only good memory of the first couple of decades was the very first kickoff of the very first regular season game they ran it back for a touchdown. We really believed we were on the way. But no, we suffered decades of shit because a Houston oilman gave his boy an NFL franchise as a toy - and the kid thought he knew how to play with it. You could stand outside the dome and wait until kickoff them buy a ticket for $2 to get into the game. Then pick your seat - because they were a lot of emptys.

GiantDuckFan and Winston1 like this.
  6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

NFL Films used to do two weekly shows back then. This Week in the NFL showed hilites from every game, and Game of the Week was a half hour on the best game. When I went looking for Newland hilites I found a Game of the Week episode from 1968 that turned out to be the first Saints game I ever saw in person. They lost to the Cardinals on a blocked FG on the final play.

APPTiger, GiantDuckFan and Winston1 like this.
  7. APPTiger

APPTiger still unable to post Geaux Tigers!

For championship games the Packers used to practice in North Carolina at Wake Forest (mid to late 60's). It was too cold to practice in Green Bay. My dad had a connection at Wake and I got to go to a practice and meet a few of them. Quite a thrill for a 7-8 year old. Dad's connection was legendary golf coach Jesse Haddock. He was a neighbor.
    https://www.golfdigest.com/story/how-novice-golfer-jesse-haddock-became-a-giant-in-college-golf

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  8. mctiger

During his Packer days, Taylor and Jerry Kramer co-owned a diving company here in Morgan City, Packer Diving. Their 3rd partner was teammate Urban Henry, who is still the only Morgan City High graduate to make it to the NFL.

APPTiger likes this.
  9. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Hows Morgan City doing these days? I spent a lot of time there in the early 80s finacing equipment in the oir boom. Then we went to lunch one day and when we got back the boom was bust. Spent a lot of time in the late 80s repo-ing the same shit .

10. mctiger

It continues to be bust and will likely stay that way. Everyone in this town thinks its still 1976 and as soon as oil prices get high enough, all the companies that left in the 80's will come back. No attempts to diversify the economy at all.

Winston1 likes this.