.....Emerald Green and Lemon Yellow.....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by GiantDuckFan, Sep 9, 2011.

1. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

he was a bit before my time in college,.. Dan Fouts, Ahmad Rashad, Bob Newland, Russ Francis, Mario Clark, they left the Ducks a year or two before i enrolled at UofO,.. the 1974 team i first saw was very bad, attendance was horrible,.. i went to a game in autzen, that had less than 10k people,.. we were crummy fans then, goofing on our own team,.. being drunk and chanting, "we're #8",.. before the PAC expanded and we could chant, "we're #10",.. our QB was another famous football name, Norv Turner, of NFL coaching fame,.. we called him Norvell Turnover because he fumbled the snap from center like a hundred times a game,.. those were awful days for Oregon football, i remember listening to a Duck game on the radio,.. Oregon was marching down the field with a chance to win,.. with only seconds left to play,.. to stop the clock and conserve time our QB threw the ball out of bounds,.. on 4th down

we had good coaches, but couldn't win,.. John McKay, John Robinson, George Seifart were all ducks

TerryP, Hou-duco and kcal like this.
  2. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Well upon further review 1970 wasn't that good of a year - finished 6 - 4 - 1; next year went 5 - 4 and the Coach resigned.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  3. kluke

kluke Founding Member

That's a pretty impressive coach list; but none of them became head coaches at Oregon. Must have sucked to watch them move on to USC to win conference and national championships. This was pre Nike of course

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  4. GiantDuckFan

then good ol Rich Brooks was hired, he turned us around,.. tho four times in his first six seasons at Oregon he only won 2 games,.. Rich coached the ducks for 18 years,.. our football field is named after him,.. after he coached at kentucky then retired, coach Brooks moved back to Eugene

5. GiantDuckFan

nah,.. we really liked Brooks then Bellotti then Chip,.. but not helfrich so much

6. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Brooks was 14-3-1 against your hated rival; that will buy a coach a lot of love.

7. GiantDuckFan

but 4-14 against our most hated rival, the fuskies of washington,.. until " the Pick "

8. kluke

kluke Founding Member

So I wanted to look into why the Duck/Beaver clash would be called the Civil War - Oregon being about as far from any significant battle of the Civil War as you can get. Read some summaries of 'Significant' games - And Damn Duck ya'll get after it; and ya get really personal. Kidnapping, stripping, head shaving, forced labor, and ransom demands for the abducted homecoming queen - SHIT. Even the Gumps just kill a few trees.

Some significant years
    : Following a 12-0 Oregon victory in Corvallis, fans of both teams began a verbal argument that escalated into exceedingly rowdy behavior as Ducks fans returned to the train station to leave. . . . . and causing the rivalry to be suspended for 1911

: After defeating Oregon 14-0 in Corvallis, . . Approximately 2,000 Oregon State students decided to caravan the following day to Eugene . . . . once Oregon students got out of class, the situation escalated with Ducks pelting Beavers with tomatoes and water balloons, some Oregon State students were thrown into the millrace, and other OSU students taken to Skinner Butte, stripped and forced to repaint the "O" hillside letter yellow and slide down the painted surface

: 50-60 UO students infiltrated Corvallis and lit the traditional OSU homecoming bonfire early. . . . OSU students were able to capture 25 UO students and hold them "prisoner". . . . The captured students had their heads shaved, were painted orange and black and some were forced to do menial labor for OSU fraternities. One captured Duck was marched through the OSU campus with a sign that said "I'm a dumb Duck."[10] Meanwhile, the UO raiding party kidnapped a single OSU student and paraded him around the UO campus.[11]

: A UO student abducted the OSU homecoming queen from the front of her home in Corvallis . . . . . the OSU student body president received a ransom note demanding he ride a child's scooter to the center of Eugene and make a public appeal for her return.

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

10. GiantDuckFan

lol, it's been overblown and exaggerated some,.. people definately care tho, even the non-sports folks don't want to listen to that asshole at work going on and on about his piece of shit team, over and over for a year, (or in the duck's case, lol, 8 years in a row),.. a lot of people are like my family,.. cousins, there's beavs and ducks all over,.. my Sister and Brother in law went to oregon state,.. Uncle and I went to Oregon, his wife went to oregon state, but when their daughter enrolled at Oregon she switched sides,.. a rare occurrence switching sides, i can't imagine why any duck would do so