Derek Dooley to Tennessee?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by P&G_wheelz007, Jan 15, 2010.

1. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

You obviously haven't been paying attention. Are you new to football? How old are you? The Tennessee program has been bombarded by secondary violations since Kiffin arrived and the NCAA has started a formal investigation. Who knows what they will find, where there is smoke there is usually fire and it's not like the Kiffin gang had high ethical standards. The key is NO ONE KNOWS IF the Tennessee program will end up in trouble and the uncertainty definitely effects potential coaching candidates. Almost everyone here agrees that the Tennessee job is a really good one as many including yourself have posted. Why then did they have to settle for Dooley? Could it be because of the current mess(AD/investigation)?

2. TwistedTiger

There are tons of quality coaches making less than 4/5 million a year. Where are they? Why didn't Tennessee land one of them? Tennessee is a top 20 job right? 4/5 million is top notch pay right? Where is the line of coaches knocking at the AD's door since the AD office and investigation are obviously not a problem to potential coaches according to you?

3. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

They got like four secondary violations which are meaningless as they are "unintentional violations." And, they didn't get any more secondary violations that any other school in the SEC while Kiffiin was there. That all means nothing.

As for the formal investigation into the hostesses... yeah, big deal. Tenn will get a slap on the wrist. Bama and Florida State did much worse and they just got a slap on the wrist. Everybody knows that, including every available coach.

As for why they had to "settle" for Dooley, I don't think it had anything to do with possible NCAA sanctions. Even if some coach thought that... why would he turn down like a $20 million lottery ticket to go to Tenn when he'd only make like $5 million at most over the same time if he didn't? Would you do that?

4. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

ESPN Radio (Scott Van Pelt) @1:38pm is speaking like the hiring is a done deal. Dooley is the Coach at Tenn.

5. TwistedTiger

You seem to know so much why don't you tell us why Dooley is the coach instead of a bigger name. After all no one would be scared off by the things I mentioned right? It's all about the money right? I'll make it easy for you, I'll give you a list of coaches and there salaries and you tell me why so many better hires that make much less weren't beating down the door at Tennessee.

Analyzing salaries for Football Bowl Subdivision coaches - USATODAY.com

6. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i believe there is an argument that IF there are so many secondary violations, and IF the ncaa is snooping around, what else MIGHT the ncaa find given that kitten and o showed themselves to have zero ethics.

and yes, that is all a big if, and may not be, but look at who we were dealing with. its as big an if that there is something else. a top tier coach who does not have to grab the job as a stepping stone can wait for something else.

add to that the ad thing, for many that WILL be sought for other openings, and better, "cleaner" openings, why put yourself through a potentially huge headache when something else will come along if you just be patient and wait?

most of those names that were tossed about.... their name will come up other places.

7. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

Scroll up and read my post about him. His dad is a HOF coach, so he learned under a HOF coach his whole life until he went to college. Then he went to college and learned under another HOF coach. Then he went to law school and practiced law and then went to coach for another HOF coach. Then he coached for Saban (who will probably be a HOF coach) for 7 straight years before Tech hired him. At Tech, HOF QB and Tech grad Bradshaw loved him. La Tech even made him their AD even though he's only 41. Pretty impressive resume.

8. TwistedTiger

You've got to be kidding right? I like Dooley and he may be a good coach at a major university one day but this hire is a BIG TIME reach. Just go to the Vol boards and see their reaction. For the most part it is shock, dismay and disgust. His dad was a great coach, he knows some great coaches. Oh well that must make him a great coach too. You probably think he was Tennessee's first choice and the guy they wanted all along. :dis::dis::dis:

9. TSdude

TSdude Founding Member

How is hiring Dooley a BIG TIME stretch? We're talking about the same school that hired Lane Kiffin!!!!! Even Dooley's last name is a lot more famous than Kiffin's. Dooley has done a great job at Tech moving the athletic department into the 21st century. The program was in bad shape when he took over and they've been very competitive. Don't forget they were a DB who could catch away from beating LSU this year.

10. TwistedTiger

You're right, Dooley was on every major programs short list of potential head coaching candidates. In fact rumor has it that he turned down USC. Let's see I've heard his name mentioned for vacancies at.......at.......at.....well....Tennessee! I'm not dissing Dooley, he may be a great coach one day, but no one on this planet saw him as a potential candidate for a major program before yesterday. Especially not a job that is supposedly top 20. How you can say that is not a reach is mind boggling.

EDIT: Here are a few links to what the Vols are saying. Read them and then tell me you disagree with them and that Dooley was not a reach and a desperation hire.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=7&f=1372

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/askgriff/2010/01/ut_football_hiring_derek_who-l.html

http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/