Derek Dooley to Tennessee?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by P&G_wheelz007, Jan 15, 2010.

1. P&G_wheelz007

P&G_wheelz007 Football anyone?

Based on info coming out of Ruston/ LaTech...

There's a strong chance Dooley becomes the next HC at Tennessee.

:crystal::geaux::crystal::geaux::crystal:

2. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

His dad, Vince Dooley, was a great one. 201–77–10 in 25 years as Georgia head coach. Six SEC Championships ('66, '68, '76, '80, '81, '82), one National Championship in 1980 with Herschel Walker (who played at Georgia from '80-'83). It was Georgia's 2nd National Championship (they also claim 1942 which the AP gave to Ohio State). Vince Dooley was 5x SEC Coach of the Year at Georgia and is now in the College Football Hall of Fame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for Derek Dooley:

"Derek is exactly what I hoped he would be," said NFL Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw. "As far as I am concerned, he has exceeded everyone's expectations...He is making people stand up and take notice of Louisiana Tech....I could not be more proud to have him as our AD and our football coach."

Derek Dooley learned under his father, a College Football Hall of Fame SEC Coach. up until he went to college. He even helped led his high school to a 1985 State Championship in football.

Then in college ('87-'90 WR at UVA) he learned under College Football Hall of Fame Coach George Welsh (who was U.S. Naval Academy Class of '56, an All-American QB, and a coach for Joe Paterno for 10 years, and then was 134–86–3 as a head coach of UVA).

Then he graduated law school from Georgia in 1994 and married a girl that is now Dr. Allison Jeffers Dooley, a practicing OBGYN. He practiced law at a private firm in Atlanta for almost two years.

Then he got his first coaching job at Georgia with Jim Donnan, a College Football Hall of Fame coach that was 104–40–1 as an NCAA head coach.

Before Tech hired him, he coached for Saban for 7 years straight (at LSU and then Saban took him with him to the Dolphins). So that's a vote of confidence from a very successful coach that will also probably end of up the College Football Hall of Fame.

He's only 41 and Tech has already made him their AD.

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Sounds like hes the guy.

I like Dooley a lot - oh well.

To make this a normal Tennessee thread I guess I will leave this here.

JJ?

4. JohnLSU

JohnLSU Tigers

BATON ROUGE — Louisiana Tech head football coach and athletic director Derek Dooley is close to being officially named the new coach at Tennessee, sources have confirmed.

Dooley, who has been the coach at Tech for three seasons, canceled end-of-the-season player meetings with his players on Wednesday and left Ruston. He met with Tennessee officials on Wednesday and Thursday.

Sources: La. Tech's Dooley may become coach at Tennessee - USATODAY.com

5. Randy70

Randy70 Founding Member

6. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Re: Vols hire Derek Dooley

Failed

7. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

they must have money problems there.

8. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I like him too but its a desperation hire if he is indeed the guy. Tennessee hiring a mid-major coach with a losing record is clearly not what anyone wanted but he is the compromise guy. You get young, energetic with good pedigree. You dont get a proven winner or someone with experience and stability.

Neither the Fulmer or anti-Fulmer crowd wins with this hire so Hamilton may have succeeded in saving his job by straddling the fence. It wouldn't surprise me if Sexton is Dooley's agent.

9. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Maybe not, he is a part of the coach Saban football family. You guys know him well.

I heard chicks dig him. At Tennessee such stuff goes a long way.

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

Can we start the crowton to tech campaign now??