Could Nebraska AD be pulling a SW with Kiffin?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CagedTiger, Nov 22, 2022.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Kiffen has had a taste of Hollywood (while st USC) and the bright lights of Nash. He aint going back to the corn belt.

Hou-duco likes this.
  2. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

Also, Kiffin brings instant name recognition to the program and he runs a somewhat wide open offense that players want to play in. With his name, winning history and the transfer portal, he could turn them around in no time! They have also produced three Heisman Trophy winners, although it was a while ago, players like that bling, bling stuff. Another thing that could be attractive to Kiffin is he's back home and he's closer to his son, who is living in California with his ex-wife. Nebraska is desperate for a winner and I could see Lane getting a Lincoln Riley type deal!

3. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

If Oklahoma continues to regress, maybe Nebraska could fill it. Iowa St was successful last year.

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Venables has some learning to do and I think he will. He stated earlier that he wanted nothing to do with the portal and that is a big mistake. He got shit on by his predecessor just like Kelly did. If he sticks to his guns the rebuild at OU will take a while

5. CagedTiger

CagedTiger Freshman

I just don't think that's a good fit. I know he's an OU guy, but some coaches are just great assistants, not HCs. Alabama hiring Mike Dubose is another great example. He was regarded as one of the best defensive minds in college football, but he was pitiful as a HC. If Lane goes to Nebraska, he could probably beat Venables year one with the large group of two-stars that currently fill the Nebraska roster.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Isn’t Nebraska B10 now?

EDIT: yes

7. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Spot on.
    The biggest city in Nebraska is Omaha. Most of the rest of the state are farm towns with populations of 1500 people or less. They still play 7 on 7 in a lot of areas.
    The transfer portal is potentially the great equalizer for Nebraska. A huge hire would puts Nebraska on the radar for kids prioritizing playing time/highlight reel opportunities elsewhere.

8. shane0911

Of course you don't, it's what you do.
    I don't really have a dog in the fight other than I live here and get the inside baseball if you will. His press conference when he was hired was legit. The fit isn't the problem. The learning curve is. How quickly he can figure it out will tell the tale. I think he will do just fine. We will see.

9. Herb

Herb Founding Member

It's also that a lot of OU players followed 'what's his ass' to the University of Spoiled Children.

shane0911 likes this.
  10. shane0911

That is what I meant by his predecessor

Herb likes this.