Cochon de Lait

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by pharpe, Oct 28, 2008.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I also like the open fire. Use a high temp flange bearing and an everyday rotisserie motor. We usually rig it to an old swing set A frame. Oh and lots and lots of lies, gotta have those.:thumb::D

2. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Chinese Cajun Microwave. You can have your very own

http://www.lacajachina.com/

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeK5VMUe4y0&feature=related[/MEDIA]

3. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Well I think I'm going to build a cajun microwave style like this:

[​IMG]

That way its movable and reusable. I'll just need someone to weld me a steal insert for the top. So if anyone knows someone in the DFW area that does metal fabrication please let me know.

4. HatcherTiger

If possible may I recommend that you line the inside with metal or some sort of insulation. Otherwise, you could end up with blackened pig. This will also prolong the life of your microwave. Be sure to include a drain hole for the drippings to have a way out. A thermometer also helps you keep an eye out for cooking time. Good luck. My father-in-law had one made completely of aluminum. We cooked hundreds of pounds of meat on that thing. He got sick and we didn't use it for a while. He gave it away not thinking I would want it !!!

5. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I get the prolonging the life of the microwave but how does lining the inside with metal effect whether the pig is blackened?

Thanks for the tips.

6. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

I would think it would heat unevenly and maybe burn the wood when the fat hits it. I have always seen these boxes metal lined. And they really work well too. Just takes practice if you cook different things, like fish, etc.

7. HatcherTiger

Trust me this thing will get very hot. My dad caught his on fire resulting in blackened pig.

Just noticed, The Dude is right.

8. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

So do you think tacking some flashing to the sides and bottom would do it? Would the seams need to be welded?

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The all-metal ones are really a lot easier to keep clean and they never burn or rot. You can just leave them outside behind the shed like a boat. A friend of mine had a stainless steel one . . . until somebody stole it.

10. HatcherTiger

Yes, tacking the sides and bottom is better than leavng bare wood exposed. I think you can get away with not welding the seams as long as you can bend the metal at the seam so that there is overlap at the seam. Good luck !