Climate Skeptics See 'Smoking Gun' in Researchers' Leaked E-Mails

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Sourdoughman, Nov 20, 2009.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Untrue.

Nobody has ever suggested this. Only that man's activities have grown immensely and now constitute a significant variable.

2. red55

Nonsense. The difference between weather and climate is a measure of time. Weather is what the chaotic conditions of the atmosphere are over a short period of time, while climate is how the atmosphere "behaves" over relatively long periods of time.

This is why it is foolish for SF to say it snowed in Houston today so that disproves climate change.

It's not ignored. It's what climate study is all about. But the important difference between daily weather trends and millennia-long climate patterns are recognized.

Then tell us what model ignores it? What the models do is recognize that which is a daily weather fluctuation and distinguish it from long-term climatic patterns from which trends can be found.

3. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Adam Levitt's new book "Super Freakonomics" (a follow up to Freakonomics), has an interesting take on Global Warming in the last chapter. It's worth a read if you get the chance.

4. PURPLE TIGER

PURPLE TIGER HOPE is not a strategy!

Damn it started getting cold at the Saints game yesterday and I was wearing several layers of clothing. At least it didn't snow like the day before.

I hate this "man-made" global warming! We should spend billions to fix it.

:hihi:

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Damn, Red. Those climate guys sure have got you buffaloed. You'll buy into anything.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

steven levitt, not adam.

i have read it, and it is right. it points out that many of the assumptions about warming ( that it is worth it to solve, that we are worse off for warming) are unproven. it also points out that many of the warmingists are irrationally tied to it, like a religion.

7. red55

I've backed up my statements with evidence . . . you back yours with ultra-conservative rhetoric.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

do you believe what that article says to be true? if so why are you not a million times more intense about the issue?

"dangerous, irreversible, and, perhaps, catastrophic...More than half[xi] of the Earth’s remaining economically recoverable fossil fuel reserves must be kept in the ground "

do you agree with that or are you cherry picking?

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

you presume such an enormous amount of knowledge that you do not have. you truly have not a goddamn clue what humans can adapt to, or what the optimal temperature is.

10. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Oops, you're right. I always think of Adam Smith when I think of Levitt and wonder what he would think of Levitt's work. Thanks for the correction.

And to add to your point, Levitt argues there is a simple fix that "warmingists" want to ignore in pumping sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere. Not sure if that works or not but his argument that humans only contribute about 2% of greenhouse gases is certainly eye opening.

Anyway, great book.