Bush Might Sit Out?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Deceks7, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

2. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

3. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

How would this be the saints fault? Because they refuse to pay him #1 money when he was the #2 pick. Even if Bush thinks he should've been the #1 pick that means diddly-poo because he wasn't the #1 pick. I don't blame the Saints one bit for not offering him as much or more than Mario Williams, I really don't know what the precedent is for a #2 pick demanding #1 pick money so I really can't say if it has been done before but if Bush wants to threaten to sit-out the season let him. By Bush threatening this the Saints may cave and give him what he wants or Bush may see that the Saints mean business so he will settle for what the Saints offer him or he may sit out all of this year, go back into the 07 draft and still not be guaranteed the #1 pick which he would then just be screwing himself because he wouldn't make that much more money and he would have 1 more year of debt to have to pay, so in the end he would probably come out with less money. These are the potential risks and the awesomeness of the free market, the only question now is if Bush thinks the benefit of making a little less money outweighs the risks of sitting out a year.

4. clair

clair Rockets

you don't understand... He deserves #1 money for a number of reasons:

1. NFL has no guaranteed money, so it really isn't a big deal. If he sucks, just cut him a few years down the road.

2. The unbelievable revenue he'd bring the team. Do you ever see a random guy in NYC wearing a Saints jersey, or a Saints cap? Well, you will now if Reggie signs.

3. Season ticket sales are through the roof 100% b/c of Bush

4. They paid WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much for a hurt QB, so why not for the future face of the NFL

5. clair

clair Rockets

6. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

7. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

This is nothing, just some idiot yahoo on Yahoo! who's trying to stir up the pot. Bush may hold out (along with every other first rounder it looks like), but he'll be in camp.

8. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

You can argue he deserves #1 money but not everyone sees it that way, which is why to threaten to sit-out the whole year is a huge gamble.

I never said he was broke I merely stated that by sitting out a year that is one less year of money he is making and that he isn't guaranteed to be picked #1 next year so it wouldn't really that huge of an improvement for sitting out a year if he isn't picked #1.

9. clair

clair Rockets

it's more of a gamble for an organization who has never won to pass up onthe guy who is their meal-ticket to dollars.

it's not like the difference between 1 and 2 is 10's of millions of dollars. it's just a matter of a few millions in the signing bonus

the ball is in reggie's court 100%, b/c the egg is in the saint's face a lot more than it is in bush's face if he doesn't play

10. martin

martin Banned Forever

i hope the saints stand pat and pay him like a number 2. if he sits, screw him.

if you are screwing up the system by being unsignable to the point where people will not draft you for it, too bad. when players act like this is screws the league because it favors rich teams who will take the guys others pass on due to money issues.

this definitely happens with scott boras clients in baseball and it screws up the competitive balance.

i actually think the leagues should all have a set scale for rookies.

you want number one money, get drafted number one.