Brees WILLNOT sign tendered offer..

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by fanatic, Mar 5, 2012.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

they need to suck it up and pay the man what he is asking for. I mean he is only the greatest player to ever wear a Saints uniform.

2. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

couldn't agree more

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I do agree with this.

I was saying since the end of 09 that the Saints should get a long term extension done before Brady and Manning's deals get done. They could have made it cap friendly. The figure I threw out was $25 million a year, which is what I thought Manning would get. He surprisingly talked the deal down (never heard of ANYONE doing that) to the $18 range so as not to hurt the team's chances of keeping a competitive team around him that could vie for Super Bowls.

The lockout hurt in 2010 when teams were handcuffed to make any long term signings not knowing what was going to transpire. Can't really blame Loomis about that.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

When you look at things like, the average life span of an NFL player is something like 55 years, the average career in the NFL is like 3 years, you gotta get all you can, when you can. Especially in Drew's case. How much $ do you think Drew alone has put in Tom Benson's pocket since 2005? Pay him you old fart. We like Drew better than you anyway.

5. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

Yeah I'd have to say I've enjoyed watching Drew throwing TD's and winning a super bowl in recent years far more than 3 decades of "the Benson boogie".

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

The thing everyone is forgetting is that the Saints offered to make Brees the highest paid player in NFL history last season and he turned it down. This is not a question of Benson being cheap. Brees wants a front-loaded deal that will cripple Loomis' ability to get anyone else signed this season. If Brees will accept even Tom Brady-like money for one season, they can throw the Brinks truck at him next year and make it all fit under the cap. At least that's my understanding of the situation.

7. mctiger

8. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

I would say 100% from the greedy agent.

9. Richdog

Richdog 02 Cecilia alumni champs

Not as long as JJ is owner.

10. mctiger

Brees was just on Mike and Mike (by telephone), and he clearly sounds very down. In discussing the contract talks, he did not acknowledge the difficulties the team will have in keeping everyone happy. He compared the current situation with his playing under the franchise tag in '05, when the shoulder injury nearly ended his career. Although he didn't come out and say so, he said he's talked to the team about the franchise tag, and it sounds like he will sit out if a long-term deal isn't reached.