Brees will sign new deal Friday or Monday

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by MikeInLa, Jun 7, 2012.

1. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

According to ESPN, this year will only count $10m against the cap. Not sure how a $40m payday can only count for 10m against the cap, but that's what they're saying.

But damn, Mort sure is annoying. I've heard him on 3 shows now saying that Drew will be the highest paid QB 'until Aaron Rodgers gets his current deal re-done'. I don't begrudge Aaron Rodgers anything. He's a great QB. I just happen to think Drew is better. Like Brees, Rodgers did win ONE SB and he had ONE year (last year) where he put up lights out numbers. Drew's numbers last year were better than his, plus he's been doing it consistently for a longer time, winning the NFL QB triple crown (completion %, yards, and TDs), so why isn't he recognized as the best?

Rodgers has the potential to be the best, but he needs a few more years like last year before he can make that claim. Right now, today, Drew Brees is the best QB in the NFL, period.

2. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

wjray likes this.
  3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

3 reasons, IMO

a. He doesn't play in a large or glamourous media market.
    2. He isn't your prototypical 6'4, howitzer-armed QB
    d. He's viewed as a "system QB" who benefits from being in a pass-happy offense.

They're wrong on all counts.

4. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Glad they finally got this done...

5. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

Because no one outside of the who dat nation likes the Saints. Green Bay on the other hand is where the bar was set decades ago. They're on Aaron Rodgers' jock, nothing more. If they were any closer to it, they'd be choking on nut hair. :eek:

6. Kajun4LSU

Kajun4LSU Founding Member

Joe Montana was similar in stature and arm stregnth. Montana was accurate, smart, highly competative, and most of all, a winner. He was recognized because he won multiple Super Bowls. Brees has been acknowledged as on of the best in the league. Another Super Bowl win will put him the category of "Best of all-time.
    He's one of the most accurate QB's ever along with Montana, Steve Young, and Rogers.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  7. mctiger

I agree with the comparison. Another point of comparison is that Brees, like Montana, plays at a time when some of his contemporaries are considered among the greats of all time (Manning and Brady, Elway, Marino and Moon). The difference is that Montana has multiple Lombardi's on the mantle, while Drew only has one. Give him another, and perhaps more importantly, an MVP (he should already have one, and you could make the argument for two), and Brees will begin getting serious talk for Hall of Fame status.

8. Kajun4LSU

Kajun4LSU Founding Member

Glad you agree. Another similarity is the two QB's go-to recievers were from small college's. Jerry Rice (Miss. Valley) and Marcus Colston (Hofstra) were both late round draft choices who excelled when given a chance. Rice was faster and is the best to have played the position. Both have great hands and are excellent route runners. I'll never forget the humility of Jerry Rice. When asked to what did he attribute his success, Jerry replied, "Joe Montana has eyes behind his head. He can find the open reciever no matter the situation." He can find me under pressure when he is rolling in the opposite direction." He never boasted about his own ability.
    Brees is similar because he knows where everyone is on the field.

9. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

Rice is only the greatest wide receiver of all time. Montana had a very big advantage by having him at his disposal. Not saying that Montana wasn't great, but how great would he have been had he not had the hardest worker in the game?

Drew Brees has never had that guy. Colston isn't near that level, no one on the Saints squad is, but the SYSTEM is what makes it work so well.

10. mctiger

Oops. Rice was a first round draft pick.