Brees will sign new deal Friday or Monday

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by MikeInLa, Jun 7, 2012.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

wasnt the point. its a bigger deal than you're pretending its not. its going to go a little deeper than he just shows up and all is well. the saints not paying the best player in their history in a professional and timely manner speaks volumes.

and brees wont be in game shape because of them. not him.

and the team will be further behind. coulda woulda shoulda been done long, long ago.

saints wont learn from this because they will never have this chance again.

2. wjray

wjray .-.. ..- -.- .

I think something else that many people miss in this negotiation is that Tom Condon (Drew's agent), like Loomis, also has responsibilities to others, namely Condon's other clients. Those clients include Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Tony Romo, Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan and Alex Smith. That's not to mention that Condon's agency represents Phillip Rivers and Tim Tebow (through Jimmy Sexton, Little Nicky's agent).

So while the negotiation is unquestionably between Drew and the Saints, the outcome of the negotiation could easily directly affect a quarter of the NFL's teams. That means that this negotiation and the ultimate contract will be dissected by every team in the league.

I don't like that it's taking so long, but then again I don't have to like it. I still believe it will get done but I'm not so sure it'll get done before the deadline.

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I'm not arguing to underpay him. He deserves to be the highest paid player in team history by far, and also deserves to be one of the highest 2 or 3 paid quarterbacks currently in the NFL. The Saints' current offer makes him both.

Really? If Brees leaves, the rest of the team walks?

Please. They'll be 4-12, tops. Probably worse; given the premise that Brees is at least as important to the Saints as Manning was to the Colts, and you saw what happened to them last year without him. I'm sure Loomis and co. know that. That's what you don't get.

They also get that, if they don't get this done, Brees can't go shop himself around. His only choice will be to either take the franchise tender, or sit out the season. That's what makes this different from Manning's 24-hour negotiation with Denver. He had the freedom to say, here's what I want, if you don't give it to me now, I'm sure San Francisco will. Brees has no such leverage; he can only hold out. Since he has already said a. he won't report without a new deal, but b. he won't sit out the season, logic dictates he'll sit out training camp and report just before the regular season.

That's assuming they don't get the deal done. Brees' other leverage is the arbitrator's ruling. The Saints also know if they don't get this done, they'll have to offer him 23 million to keep him locked up for '13. That's when the serious cap issues hit the fan.

Before Loomis became GM, he made his bones as a salary cap guru. That's what this is all about, and it will be resolved.

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

What don't you get about the fact that he can't move on? He has been franchised tagged; he belongs to the Saints. And even if he were to sit out this season (which he won't), they can tag him again next year. He's not going anywhere.

5. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

You are right as always Kyle !!!! Brees puts himself above his other greedy teammates !!

(Can I get a cool avatar now ???)

6. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

I've got a perfect one for you, sir. :D

7. tirk

No the rest of the team is irrelevant as is loomis.

Yes and it they knew it it would have been done long before. I get it, they don't.

its either that or the bags. take your pick.

Yes but he and benson know nothing about respect given their history with this organization and its fanbase over the years and now brees. As I keep repeating, its more than simple numbers. They've shown their hand now and it will cost them in the near future. Starting with Brees this year.

8. ROY_LA_CA

ROY_LA_CA Founding Member

9. tirk

the guy who uses coupons at a charity thinks brees is being greedy.

10. titoabad1

titoabad1 Contributing Member

According to @mortreport Brees and saints have agreed on a 5 yr $100 million contract!:D

Cajun Sensation likes this.