Brees will sign new deal Friday or Monday

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by MikeInLa, Jun 7, 2012.

1. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

It's about time! Looks like there is finally light at the end of this tunnel...

Report: Brees will sign new deal Friday or Monday

NEW ORLEANS, LA (WAFB) -​

WWL Radio reports Drew Brees will sign a new deal with the New Orleans Saints by Friday or Monday.
    Sideline reporter Kristian Garic said Thursday morning there are only a couple more items to take care of to get the deal done.
    Many reports began circulating Wednesday that the team was close to offering its All-Pro quarterback a new contract.
    The Saints and Brees have until July 16 to work out a multiyear deal, or Brees would face a choice of sitting out the season or playing under a one-year franchise-tag distinction for roughly $16 million.

2. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

3. Tiger_fan

Tiger_fan Veteran Member

I heard on the radio that Brees is appearing before the city council in a suit to plead his case for opening one of his Jimmy Johns sandwich shops on Maple in uptown. a group of neighbors are fighting Brees, who also lives in uptown, to keep him from opening his restaurant, and the zoning committee and city council are split on the issue so far

remember, uptown residents were able to get the city council to block Tulane's new football stadium recently

4. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

5. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I have a feeling that a deal will be done soon--like within the next week soon.

6. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Unfortunately, that was a big swing and a miss. I'm thinking it will be last week before that deadline. I thin the deadline is July 15th.

7. b_leblanc

b_leblanc That's just my game...

16th

8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

9. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

He either shouldn't have said that or he was trying to get to his own agent.

10. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I don't think he gave anything away. Anyone with half a brain knows he's not going to sit out. I mean would it be so bad to play for 16.5 million. His bargaining chip is to tell the saints that if he does play under the franchise tag then it will unequivocally be his last year in the black and gold. That's a more realistic threat.

Cajun Sensation likes this.