BP Gulf Oil Spill

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Apr 21, 2010.

1. JM Tiger

JM Tiger Founding Member

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Obama's Env. head, Browner was on Fox this morning crowing about what a great job Obama did with the whole spill thing.

This Administration is unbelievable.

3. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

"Hey, I did my share mister funny man!"

[​IMG]

4. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

[​IMG]

This about sums up the administrations attitude towards Louisiana. Obama left Grand Isle and about one week later, the moratorium was put into immediate effect.

Who's the funny man now baby !!

5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Former Gov. Blankstare couldn't handle orders at a Chinese Rest.

:D

6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Enbridge Inc (ENB.TO) shut its 190,000 barrel
    per day Line 6B crude oil pipeline after a leak on July 26 in
    Marshall, Michigan. The line runs northeast from Indiana to Sarnia,
    Ontario.
    * The pipeline serves refineries in Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvaniaand southern Ontario, which process more than 700,000 barrels perday. FACTBOX-Impact to refiners from Enbridge crude line shutdown | Reuters Wonder if SRB's come into play on this one?

7. JM Tiger

JM Tiger Founding Member

That was a strange post, lsudad.

Im ready for this mess to get to court. The investigation would have been over long ago, but everyone lawyered up and isn't cooperating. Transocean and halliburton said their bits, but basically with nothing to back it up. BP has been all but silent, but the small details will have to come put eventually. Too much money riding on this for them not to; BP floated the entire cleanup bill but only had a 65% interest in the well.

Very curious what comes about from the investigations into the failed BOP and how loose the drilling regulations/emergency response plans were. IMHO, these are the two biggest issues.

Suprised how little attention this is getting, considering the "bp/oil industry is the devil" and "our grandkids will be cleaning this up" posts. Can't wait to see how this changes my industry.

8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Strange how? SRB's?

A friend of mine came to the house the other day and asked if I wanted in on the BP wrapup. Pays well, but I'm gonna sit this one out.

9. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

It shouldn't change the industry much at all. The accident/disaster was not the result of failed technology...it was a failure of BP to do things correctly and safely. They took lots of shortcuts because of pressure from the very top of the corporation to save time and money. And the worst thing about all this is the fact that, had nothing gone wrong, the time and money saved would have been just seconds and pennies in the complete life of the project's production.

It was ultimately a failure of the federal government to properly regulate BP. The MMS should have saved BP from themselves.

The only changes should be in the integrity of the federal regulatory agency. Well there may be a case for backup BOPs on the rig floor, pre-fabricating collection and containment equipment and keeping it on site, etc.

By the way, if the government is really promoting the idea that only 25% of the spilled oil is left out there...the industry ought to hold the feds feet to the fire and begin asking why in the world are they fined for spilling a gallon of diesel overboard.
    By extending that logic there could a wholesale reduction of fines and regulations concerning spills.

10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Years ago Ships would clean tanks, then dump the tank washing overboard once out into the gulf. Also years ago a caustic was pumped overboard into the gulf, they had to be X number of miles offshore. Glad these things don't come into play anymore. People all the time talk about how dirty the Mississippi River is, its cleaner now than it was 40 years ago. When I was a kid we would eat freshwater shrimp out of the river.

Yes this spill will change regulations, a hope is for the better, on both sides.