Bottled Water

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

A once popular brand of bottled water is named Evian. Spell it backwards

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

That short huh? Maybe I should do what my Dad did. Whenever we would finish with a quart of mayonnaise he would wash out the jar thoroughly and keep water in it. There were always a lot of jars under the dining room table that we never used except at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I don't think we ever did have to drink any of it. Only thing wrong with that is that I don't have any empty mayonnaise jars so I would have to start eating a lot more mayo. Is there any brand still sold in glass jars or are they all plastic now?

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I think its more like a year of shelf life, but I don't keep bottled water very long. You can buy glass gallon jugs or mason jars, but if you really want to store water for emergencies try one of the survivalist websites. You can get a plastic Jerry can or even a 55-gallon drum that are made from BPA-free plastic that won't leach chemicals into the water.

But really . . . the water never goes out during hurricanes in Baton Rouge.

4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

It's really come on strong in the last 15 years. Going to become a problem with SO much more plastic unnecessarily added to the ocean.

I keep some too. Throw a 12 pack in your freezer too. If the shit hits it'll serve as dual purpose. Help keep shyt cool and you can drink it when it melts.

I also keep some empty 20 oz bottles that I fill with water and freeze. I like to throw a few in an ice chest when I go fishing, crabbing, etc. Bigger ice lasts longer.

GregLSU likes this.
  5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I will freeze water in half gallon milk cartons to take when I go fishing. It lasts a lot longer than store bought crushed ice

LSUTiga likes this.
  6. LSUTiga

LSUDad and red55 like this.
  7. LSUTiga

Yeah I use those too. One or two gallon jugs too. Those ice machines on the corners are nice but the ice doesn't last as long. The ice isn't frozen as hard. That is so it can make more, and faster.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I have a set of steel bowls in the kitchen. When I'm not using them, I keep them filled 3/4 with water in empty places in the freezer. It keeps the freezer from keeping empty air cold and when the power goes out it helps keep things in the freezer cold longer. And when I leave with an ice chest, I can dump out three or four big boulders of ice that last a long time. But I like the idea of the big-cube trays, too. I'm getting a couple.

[​IMG]

LSUDad likes this.
  9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

The water here in OKC isn't bad although there is something going on with the pipes in my kitchen. I will have to get a filter put on there, the rest of the spigots are fine. I was mowing the yard the other day and turned on the hose and took a nice long gulp from it. The kids in the back yard looked at me as if I came down from a space ship and had 6 heads. I was like "what? This is how we did it when I was a kid because once we walked out the door in the morning we weren't allowed back in until lunch time" They had never seen such a thing. Whole damn place is on the fast track to hell I tell ya.

Bottled water also drives up the cost/price of just about everything because it a) takes up a LOT of room in the trucks and b) it is so heavy and increases cost to haul it. Shit is going to be the ruination of us all.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Off I-12 headed east toward O'Neal Lane there is a big building on the left with a Kentwood Bottled Water Sign. I don't know if they bottle the water there of if its just a distribution center. I have always wondered if they just turn on the taps and fill the Kentwood bottles with Baton Rouge tap water. After all, it comes from the same aquifer as the water in Kentwood. By the way the label on a bottle of Kentwood water says Kentwood Bottling Company, Atlanta, GA