Black pots & McWare (Magnalite) pots

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUTiga, Feb 3, 2008.

1. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

WOW for that kind of weight, think you gotta steel. Check with tiga's dealer and see if any better but my guess is his dealer just might have found a new source!

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Could be, here is what it includes

• Magnalite Classic 13pc Cookware Set: 1qt Saucepan w/Cover, 2qt Saucepan with Cover, 5qt Dutch Oven with Rack and Cover, 10" Open Skillet, 15" Roaster with Cover and Rack, and 3qt Casserole with Cover
    • Heavy domed lids lock-in moisture, transfer heat from the vessel side wall, and help facilitate convection style heating.
    • Oven safe to 350 degrees Farenheit
    • Hand Washing Recommended
    • 50 Year Limited Warranty
    Price is 169.99 and shipping was like 10.50 so it really is a good deal. At least it seems so. Funny, didn't know we could generate so much bull talking about a bunch of pots. lol

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Hey Tiga: Check out this setup (Yesterday in Butte La Rose with yours truly at the controls).

1 person likes this.
  4. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

WOW! That's how it's done. You took me back to when I was a kid, my mom's side of the family would load us up for the day and go to "The woods" and we'd cook fish like that. What was on the menu and how'd it turn out?

5. SabanFan

Smothered Hen with smothered cabbage and salt pork.

Step by step:

1 person likes this.
  6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I can tell you a lazy way. Iron pot? Just fry fish in it a few times and it will end up adequately seasoned.

I salvaged a half dozen cast iron dutch overs, skillets and a griddle from a demolished barn and they are badly rusted. Who has a good way to remove the rust so that they can be re-seasoned? My dad always threw a rusty skillet into a fire and later worked it over with a steel brush, but I never remember this being particulary effective. These are rusted pretty badly. Nice pieces, may 80 years old. Recondition or recycle?

7. SabanFan

What I do is build a good fire with lots of hot coals then throw the rusted pot(s) into the fire. Let them get good and hot then remove them and mop with hog lard (inside and out). Keep mopping until they cool down. You can get 5 gallons of hog lard from any place that sells cracklins. I just make a mop with a long stick or old broom handle and wire an old rag to the end. It'll take some scrubbing to get them clean later but the rust will be gone.

1 person likes this.
  8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Thats about the only way Red, it's messy and time consuming but it should work. You also have to keep it moist with a light coat of oil but I'm sure you know that already. Good luck.

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

red, ive cleane up a few cast iron skillets that were badly rusted. but i started out by using a steel brush attachment on the electric drill to really clean off the top layers of rust. i am generally able to get enough off that way to where i can then scrub it down with oil and a wire brush by hand fairly easily. i have enough cast iron that i can keep my kitchen nicely furnished with it and still have enough to have a nice selection in the nola house when it gets rebuilt. i have scrounged a lot that looked pretty bad at garage sales for only $1 -$2. after the wire wheel on the drill bit, they looked great. its especially good for the nooks and crannies of things like cornbread stick pans.

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Red, have it sandblasted. Nothing better.