Best Restaurants in Baton Rouge and the Surrounding Areas

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by CajunPunk, Sep 16, 2009.

1. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

I've never eaten in the restaurant but I have bought a lot of stuff from the meat market side. They make great sausage, boudin, stuffed chickens, etc. I also get my deer processed by them.

2. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

every time i pass that place on my way out of town, i wonder if it is any good. of course, at the time of morning i go by, they arent open.

3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I don't think you can't find a better Plate Lunch for the price........

http://www.bergeronsboudin.com/menu.html

The Beef Jerky, Smoked Sausage (Green Onion), Stuffed Baked Potatoes (Stuffed w Shrimp), Cracklins, Stuffed De-Boned Chicken's and Stuffed Pork Chop's are some of the things I like. I'm not much on his Boudin (The Smoked is OK).

http://www.bergeronsboudin.com/items.html

I think Moonie and his crew do a great job there, you can tell by the number of cars in the parking lot around lunchtime.

4. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

haha...I usually make a quick run during my lunch break (to avoid the evening bridge traffic you get after work) on Fridays during football season to grab sausage for the tailgate. I often wonder the exact same thing about the restaurant as it's always packed.

Ok you've sold me :thumb:

5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

You're too easy.

Like I said, the price and what you get, too hard to pass.

The Stuffed Tater is a great late night snack. Stuffed Chicken (I like the ones with Cornbread Dressing), cut some taters and put a few baby carrots in the dish, bake, with a salad, you've got a meal.

6. CajunPunk

CajunPunk TF's Resident Realist

OMG.

The best cracklins you will ever eat.

EVER.

Their boudin is good, but I still think Jerry Lee's has the edge on them.

Also, out here in Denham, there is a little place called LaGrange's. It's kind of a hole in the wall, not much atmosphere, but it's pretty good Cajun food. It's right next to the Po Boy Express across from Wal-Mart. They have all you can eat fried shrimp and catfish for $12.99. We ordered the fried green tomatoes with crawfish bisque sauce, and it was awesome. I took my dad there a couple of months ago for all you can eat crawfish ($18.99) and he said it was pretty good.

7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Never eaten there. I refuse to eat in any restaurant that has anything to do with TJ Moran.

8. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Any reason for that? I don't eat at most of his places because they aren't very good.

9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Not much on the RC, but I do like the other places he owns.

10. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Back around 1982-84, I was working at Del Lago, which is now Ninfa's. The owners had run the place into the ground and were in negotiations w/ TJ to buy it. He would come in with his entourage and treat everyone like dog crap. I was once waiting on him and he got so drunk that he literally went face down in the fettucine that I had cooked table side for the drunk sob. He would shout things like "hey BOY, come here and do your damn job and take care of MY table" in the middle of our busy time at dinner. He didn't care at all that he was disrupting paying customers' meals. This went on for probsably 4 months. We all put up with him because he promised the entire staff that their jobs were secure and that the restaurant would stay open after he owned it. The plan was to shut down in August for a one month remodel and reopen in Sept. He also promised to make good on all of the back pay the the Del Lago ownership owed all of us(they hadn't payed us for most of the last year. We were simply working for tips). It was all just lies to keep us kissing his a$$.

The day they signed the paperwork, he fired everyone and never payed anyone the money he had promised. Biggest prick I have ever met in my life. I could go on, but hopefully you get the jist.

Fortunately I quit to take another job about a month before he took over. However, he screwed every single person that was still there.

Since that time I have never set foot in any restaurant were he stood to make a buck.