Best Restaurant in the City you are In Right Now

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by TigerBait3, Feb 27, 2009.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

When I lived in Austin, it was Pokey Joe's BBQ Restaurant.

The potato salad and cornbread casserole is to die for.

2. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

You ever geaux to a place just south of Austin called the Salt Lick?

http://www.saltlickbbq.com/

Hard to find better in the area IMO. You can smell the joint about 2 to 3 miles away. Willie Nelson geaux's there a lot.

1 person likes this.
  3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

On our trip to LA for spring break, we stopped at Abita Springs Café, owned and operated by TF’s own stevescookin. They are open for breakfast and lunch only, so we decided to drop in for lunch. Anyone in the Abita area, you should do yourself a favor and stop in. As most of downtown Abita is, the café is quaint and full of charm. At our table, we had a shrimp poboy, club sandwich, and fried soft shell crab over rice.

My kids have been away from south LA long enough to not really be familiar w/ real poboys. Steve, you have a winner in that one! The shrimp were numerous and falling off the poboy and the bread was fantastic.

Lisa had the club sandwich. Her first comment was “it sure is nice to be home!”

I had the softshell crab and had to threaten everyone else at the table to stay away! Everyone had a taste and loved it. The sauce over the rice was truly outstanding.

The weather was perfect so we sat outside on the patio. This was a totally enjoyable lunch.

Steve sent the girls home w/ some of his homemade biscuits. People, this guy knows how to cook! I was talking to my sister from Mandeville and she said that breakfast (and the biscuits especially) are what they are famous for. If breakfast is anywhere near as good as lunch, I’d be there several times a week.

So, anytime you are in the area, I highly recommend taking the time to drop in and say hi to Steve and his staff. You’ll be in for a treat!

One last thing, the Abita Brew Pub is right down the street from Abita Springs Café. We sat on the patio there and enjoyed sampling the different beers while the kids played in the park right next door. What a great way to spend an afternoon!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

great review. now i know i gotta stop in next time i am in the area. or when i am in nola next time, just make a trip to the north sho for that. :thumb:

5. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

steve, i go there all the time. great place. :thumb:

6. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Steve owns Abita Springs Cafe? How did I miss that. I was there for breakfast a couple months ago when visiting a friend in Covington. GREAT PLACE STEVE! I wish I had known you owned it. I would have said something.

1 person likes this.
  7. charlie_c0756

charlie_c0756 Founding Member

I had to work a couple of weeks in Miami and I gotta agree. Fast Food at Pollo Tropical. Chicken and Ribs on the grill and the beans and rice. Best sides I've ever seen for fast food.

View attachment 11827

8. charlie_c0756

charlie_c0756 Founding Member

And if you ever get a chance to visit Memphis, (I'd suggest going in May for the Memphis in May blues fest) you gotta go have the best damn bbq I've ever tasted. The Rendevous.

View attachment 11828

9. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Thank you so much for the kind words Ky-lek :) The check is in the mail!!!

Seriously, if anyone from the forum comes by, PLEASE come in the kitchen and introduce yourself because I would love to meet you guys and girls. I never get to go to any games or watch them on TV and it's your posts that keep me in touch not only with LSU athletics, but a very important part of my life as a student back in the early 70's.

Only since last November or so have I discovered this forum and begun to re live and re kindle my love for LSU. My dad went to LSU med school in the late 1940's and some of my earliest memories (that waken in my heart a tender glow) is him singing the LSU alma mater as a lullabye to my younger brothers and me as well as waking us up the next morning by flipping on the bedroom lights to the reveille like hymn: "Like knights of old fight to uphold the glory of the Purple and Gold..... etc"

So meeting you folks and serving you means more than you imagine.

By the way, I'll let the cat out the bag. The poster here called Herb is one of my punk younger brothers... There were 8 of us ! :lol:.

10. whatever

whatever Founding Member

Houston has great asian food:
    Vietnamese sandwiches: Don Cafe
    Vietnamese - Bodard's
    Dim Sum - Dim Sum King or Fung's Kitchen

Non asian:
    Goode Co BBQ
    100% Taquitos