Best Place To Eat In Baton Rouge

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by LSUDad, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

There is still a City Cafe across town but I have only been there once and that was for AUCE crawfish. I miss the one on Perkins that I used to eat at regularly.

The Chimes on Highland there is always a parking problem and the one on Coursey is always packed.

Also the Bamboo Garden on Essen had the best food on a Chinese Buffet. Now it is The Times where I once spent $17 for a burger, a beer and tip. Yesterday I saw a sign in from touting their "deal." Two burgers for $12. That's not a deal.

StaceyO likes this.
  2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Times Burgers aren't great but used to have Jalepeno Poppers stuffed with crabmeat. Got rid of them and never went back. Same thing with Portobello's...Had awesome overstuffed mushrooms that I still crave and they got rid of them and never went back.

Bamboo garden was pretty good.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

After my first experience with the Times I never went back except for when they did AUCE crawfish on Monday nights. Usually had pretty big ones but so far I don't think they are doing it this year.

4. bhelmLSU

I will give it a try if it comes back. I usually stick to Lakeside's crawfish or Heads and Tails. Just the ones I found cooked the best.

Used to like Sammy's too but had a couple of reboil episodes and then denial that it occurred by the waitress so I stopped. I found more than a few people say the same thing about Sammy's. I mean come one....Reboil? Like your customers in LA wouldn't know. I will still go there for other stuff though. Convienant for me

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I like Heads & Tails crawfish. They also have a great muffalotta. The owner told me one time that the owner of Central Grocery in New Orleans taught him how to make it. I didn't know about Sammy's reboiling.

Will try Lakeside. I used to go sometimes on Wednesdays for the $1 steakburgers.

6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

The Pinettas' shish kabob was the best ever. I haven't been there since the old man died. Likewise the burgers and fries at the BR were the best.

7. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Love Gino's and their arancini. Went to HS with Gino and knew mama Marino a little. His dad had a liquor store on Perkins where Ivars is. It was my sure spot to buy in high school.

LSUDad and Bengal B like this.
  8. bhelmLSU

I have been known to order 2 arancinis on one plate from Geno's.

LSUDad and Winston1 like this.
  9. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

I miss Mickey's Gold Nugget...

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Ooh. Great steaks. And Da. Ja Mel too.