Best British Rock Bands / Best American Rock Bands

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by red55, Feb 15, 2005.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

The Guess Who, best Canadian band over Rush, a close 2nd

I forgot about Queen.....dammit

Yeah the Zombies were pretty cool

2. Carface

Carface What the...?

Ah! Queen! Freddie was a god.

3. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

My Jr high vice principal looked exactly like Brian May.

4. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

The criteria for "Best Rock Bands" by definition, must include:

1) Artists that have remained popular throughout their existence

2) Artists whose music is timeless and is relevant throughout all periods of history

The first excludes Metallica, Pearl Jam, and Weezer because it is almost universally accepted that all three bands became crap upon releasing several albums. (I'm terribly sorry, but unless you can admit that St. Anger, Binaural and whatever the latest PJ is, and everything past the first Weezer sucks you aren't being intellectually honest with yourself)

The second excludes Nirvana because, let's be honest, angst grunge is only good when you're an angry teenager. I haven't listened to Nirvana in about 10 years.

5. bigbully

bigbully Founding Member

Not my problem...how can you say a band that turned music upside-down cannot be considered "the best".

As for Metallica - 1 bad album (and I admit it's bad) and they're not one of the best - I think not. All bands have at least 1 clunker. PJ I can agree w/you to an extent.

6. LSUDeek

I give more credit to the city of Seattle, Washington for turning music upside down rather than one individual band. Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots (more California but Core was released during the same time period and everyone accused them of cloning PJ).

Nirvana's music, if it could be called that, was always devoid of any real feeling and substance. All of the above bands released albums and songs that showed they weren't all about power chords, while Nirvana stuck to the same formula for most if not all of their existence.

The majority of Metallica fans would argue that with the release of Load, Metallica started to suck. I have heard this from many sources. I don't agree; I enjoyed Load, Reload, Garage Inc, S&M, but I'm just echoing the majority opinion.

As for PJ, I've been to recent shows and the only time the crowd got excited was when something from Ten or Vs was played. I like Vitalogy and Yield OK (no code = poop) but the quality was clearly ratcheted down a bunch.

7. bigbully

bigbully Founding Member

I totally disagree w/you but I won't rant - we'll agree to disagree. We seem to be about the same age - what are you listening to these days TRA?

8. LSUDeek

1210 AM :)

As for my work playlist, it includes Deftones, Chevelle, A Perfect Circle, the complete Alice In Chains discography (incl all their singles off of various movie soundtracks), Audioslave, Days Of The New, Evanescence, Goo Goo Dolls, Good Charlotte, Green Day, Hoobustank, Incubus, Led Zep, the complete PJ discography through Binaural including singles, RATM discography minus the cover album, Chili Peppers, Silverchair, Soundgarden discography incl singles, STP discography, Third Eye Blind, Fuel, Tool discography, ZZ Top

And a bunch of random songs here and there.... :):hihi:

9. bigbully

bigbully Founding Member

ok - you're good in my book then! - sorry to hijack (I'm still waiting for someone to say Wilco and Pet Shop Boys :lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: )

10. Carface

Carface What the...?

I'll kill a man for that.

Just don't like shelling out 50 bucks for music :hihi: