basketball roster thread

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jmg, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

"we dont platoon, we play the 8 or 9 best" - coach

wealth of info in the press cnference

2. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

penny hardaway loves to pay players. the NCAA was on him, for a bunch of level 1 violations. they just handed down the punishment. its nothing. 5 thousand dollar fine, small other stuff. penny stays no postseason ban.

i dont think LSU will get a postseason ban. i dont think they will get anything significant.

Herb, mctiger, shane0911 and 2 others like this.
  3. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

i mean, far be it from me to assume the NCAA is anything other than cruel and incompetent shitbags, whose only purpose is to be parasites and general fuckwits but it makes no sense to punish a totally new staff and team. zero sense.

to the extent that LSU already gave up the most talented young coach (the stats back this up if you want to argue) in basketball, thats a truly severe self-punishment. no need for the NCAA to pile on.

so again, the precedents being set now by the same special investigative group, where they are handign down slaps on the wrist, it bodes well for us. i think the NCAA sees the writing on the wall in terms of their own irrelvance, and is loath to piss anyone off and speed up the process of their own firing and replacement with some sort of power conference consortium or whatever.

back to basketball. since coach says he plays 8 or 9, i will of course be speculating about who those folks are for the next 1.5 months.

i think juice williams is a lock as starting PG, i think adam miller is a near lock as startin SG. we will have to to speculate about the others.

big man shawn philips, who looked a bit pudgy and lumpy to me, apparently is down from 320 to 245. i saw a photo of him on the vertical leap measuring thing and he looked jacked, and way up in the sky. i wonder if his new body and the athleticism that comes with it would be enough to get him to 5 star if he were a recuit still.

[​IMG]

lsu-i-like likes this.
  4. Herb

Herb Founding Member

Overall, I agree but I look at it slightly differently. Kansas is probably the most egregiously guilty of all the schools being investigated. You know good and well that they will not throw the book at a school like Kansas, so they absolutely cannot expose themselves as biased frauds by letting Kansas skate by and then throw the book at a school like LSU.

I also think we're in a place that is kind of like the end of the movie 'The Untouchables' when the 18th amendment was repealed...in the NIL era it looks bad to shred schools for transgressions that are now above the table and deemed by the highest court in the land to be acceptable.

The fine line is that schools are actively not allowed to set up and offer kids NIL deals. So where before kids were getting paid under the table (in some cases directly by coaches/staff) now kids can cash in on their NIL and earn money. Schools still can't be directly engaged in NIL (nudge nudge, wink wink) but kids can openly earn money from their sport now.

The scene in The Untouchables was where Eliot Ness said he might go to a bar and get a drink now that it was legal again...the NCAA would have more PR and legal woes on their hands if they came down hard for things that are essentially okay today but were not 2-3 years ago.

5. Jmg

Jmg Veteran Member

yes this is the only reason the delay has been good. it has been annoying to wait an eternity for judgment, but as time passes and it seems more and more normal that players are paid, i think it will be harder to punish.

6. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I like the sound of that reasoning, but we're talking about the NCAA.

shane0911 likes this.
  7. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

They are absolutely incompetent shitbags, but I hope you’re right. I think you probably are.

Holy shit.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

The fuckwads that are the NCAA just put Air Force on 2 yrs probation for recruiting violations. Think about that for a minute...what kind of asshole do you have to be in order to hamstring a team that is already operating under a hell of a lot more restrictions than any other program. In my opinion the service academies should be off limits.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  9. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

Yea, the NCAA is not known for making logical (or timely) decisions. I don’t think the outcome from the NCAA investigation into Will Wade’s tenure at LSU is going to be anywhere close to what Jmg and some others here on this thread are hoping for. For whatever reason I think that they have a hard-on for Will Wade and that the current LSU players and coach will pay the price despite the fact that they had nothing to do with the allegations.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    lsu-i-like likes this.
  10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Remember, the Naval Academy took David Robinson. In your experience in the military, is there any place on a ship for a 7-foot tall officer?

shane0911 likes this.