Barbaro

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by Lil Jules, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Lil Jules

Lil Jules Founding Member

I know this isn't LSU related, but I thought it was worth mentioining. It doesn't look good for the Derby winner. His doctors are calling his chances of survival "poor" since developing an infection due to uneven weight distribution on his uninjured leg.

It's sad to see such a magnificant animal struggle for its life. Hope he's able to pull through.

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

So why did you post it under the Tiger's Den forum and give me extra work in moving it? :tigerhead

If nothing else, this story shows why horses are "put down" after such an injury. In this case though, they've tried everything they can because it's such an important horse. But still, they are failing.

3. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

They'll "bank" as much spunk as possible. Its a real shame because he was about to start paying off for his owner's investment. A great horse will stud for years.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

its great to see ticker updates that barbaro had a great night sleeping and even slept on its side feeling much better.

you've got to be phreaking kidding me.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

illegal to artificially inseminate throughbreds for racing.

edit: this has me wondering since they cant register a thoroughbred this way, how the hell do they know either way. i just remember talking to someone who told me its like cloning and not accepted for the sport.

6. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

Like you have anything better to do.:grin:

7. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

Breeding is seriously monitored in Horse racing. Every horse has a number tatooed on the inside of it's upper lip that is attached to it's registered name. This is how they know for sure that the right sire is listed as the father.

If you ever go to the races, watch as the horses enter the pre-race stalls. As they go through the gate there is an official there that lifts each horses lip and matches the number to the name. This way no one can enter Giacomo in a cheap allowance race to guarantee victory.

They use the same methods for breeding.

When the horses are brought together for breeding, the paperwork required has to document the numbers on both horses and DNA samples are available for any of these horses if there is a question.

8. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

The government should do this with those people that take advantage of the welfare systems

9. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I don't understand why this is getting so much publicity? Is the horse young or something? I mean, it's a horse...

10. Ch0sn0ne

Ch0sn0ne At the Track

If he lives he will be a stud at about $250,000 per live foal fee.