Bama's Great Season...

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by TigerStagg, Dec 6, 2008.

1. mjenner

mjenner Freshman

You are so right I'm sure Bama would love to trade records with LSU......

2. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

It's a good post, and you may be right. But I disagree as well. Mostly because I think LSU has really opened up recruiting in Texas and Georgia. Florida, like Texas, will always have more talent than the big schools there can fence off. And since LSU is doing much better OOS than maybe ever, fencing off the state becomes impossible. Once Saban gets his relationships going again with some of the LA coaches, he'll eventually be able to grab a kid or two we covet. May happen as early as this or next year and be a bit more regular than any of us would like.

But it doesn't have to be a bad thing as long as it remains a matter of LSU making prioritization decisions. For instance, QB and RB next year. Awesome talent in TX that is very interested in LSU - some LA talent may have to go elsewhere. Bama may be able to grab them.

What makes that worse than the Florida factor is that Bama is in the West.

3. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

No I'm not.

4. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

To take one out you gotta put one in. So who is it?

5. TwistedTiger

If Texas beat Oklahoma by 10 on a neutral site and they have identical records yet Oklahoma is ranked higher in the BCS, then I don't have to find a top 10 replacement to kick Bama out.

6. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Just posting a picture of a white flag would have saved you time on that post imo.

7. TwistedTiger

Not a white flag at all. In a normal year for the SEC west Bama would have had 2 or 3 losses heading in to the championship game. They are extremely overrated and IMO are not a top 10 team. Pick any of the teams 11-15 and it would probably be correct. But if I must pick just one to make you happy TCU will do.

8. downtown

downtown Founding Member

Twisted,

I don't like giving Bama credit either (trust me on that one), but you're entitled to your opinion.

You said if it was a "normal" year in the SEC, Bama would have 2 or 3 losses. Well we're not talking about other years. We're talking about this year. If it was a normal year last year, we wouldn't have gone to the National Championship game and won the title. It's all about what is happening now. LSU took advantage last year and Bama is this year. Both teams were good in strange years. There aren't many normal years in college football anymore. It isn't Bama's fault that the rest of the nation sucks. Even if all these other teams suck, they were beating Florida (the Almighty) in the 4th quarter. That's enough for me to know that they belong and then some...

But they did lose...and for that I'm thankful. Nick will have to wait for an SEC title.

9. TwistedTiger

Exactly, this year Bama got an easy ride through a weaker than normal SEC. That doesn't make them the #1 team in the nation, it just gives them a bunch of wins.

It's not everyone in the nation, it's just the SEC. Other than Florida this season every team that normally is a contender was a pretender LSU, Gawga, Tennessee, Auburn. That doesn't make Bama great. BAMA did have a really good season, better than expected and you can't fault them. However they are highly overrated due to a much much weaker than normal SEC.

10. RedElephants

RedElephants Founding Member

Twisted, if it hadn't have been such a down year for NCAA football last year as a whole and a crap load of luck, you guys wouldn't have even smelled the crystal football...

You lost to UNRANKED Arkansas and Kentucky at the end of the year...So that could label 07 LSU as the weakest BCS national champion ever.

None of that matters because you do, in fact, have that crystal football...like none of it matters that the SEC is down this year and we were in the SEC championship.