Bama Sanctions - Bama fans getting jumpy

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by DRC, May 28, 2009.

1. BamaBengalTiger

BamaBengalTiger Geaux Tigers !!!!!

Does anyone know where to find a list of what schools are on NCAA probation, and for how long. I haven't been able to find one.

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I'm sorry, but I really don't think that the textbook scandal is that bad. Sure it broke rules during the probationary period for lack of institutional control, and I'm all for obeying rules if they exist.

But didn't most of the violations happen in other sports besides football...and before Saban was at Alabama?

What I'm thinking right now is that if the lack of control happened and Saban's not responsible... Should someone else be held accountable... like the AD.

Do you think Moore's days are numbered and Ozzie Newsome will replace him?

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

:huh:...and here's why. 201 student athletes improperly benefitted, in 16 of the 19 sports offered by the school. 201! Also...
    BUT...

What??? 1 kid gets a freebie from his buddy working in the bookstore, I understand. 3 or 4 pull a fast one, OK. 201 athletes from virtually every team on campus? That to me is a textbook example of lack of institutional control.

A kid breaks into 1 or 2 cars and steals a couple of CD's, he gets slapped on the wrist. He breaks into 200, you can bet he's doing time. How is this different?

4. stevescookin

You're right about the extent and pervasiveness of the violations. I meant that it wasn't so bad that student athletes made a little money by selling books that were free to them. It wasn't like they were gaining competetive advantage over other teams (like Kiffen and Floyd may have).

Now if they made mega bucks on the sale that would change things. I posted a question earlier somewhere that asked if the Bama athletes were scalping the books like superbowl tickets on e-bay. You know, Here's a book for 10,000 dollars and if you buy it I'll give you two superbowl tickets for free :yelwink2:. Someone responded that they weren't.

It just seems to me that the NCAA goes very far to insure that student athletes can't make a penny while student workers get paid for generally doing little or nothing.

I kinda think that the Bama AD's head should roll.

5. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Its an interesting situation. I guess there is no way an AD can monitor any of that. This process has been going on for a while and many employees that have worked on campus for decades (in places as random as the student center) had their salaries frozen even though they werent involved in any way...they just had to do it for the NCAA. Some of these people lost their homes which is beyond absurd. Its kind of sad that nothing will happen to the players even though they are the ones that should be punished.

Good article by Maisel.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

yeah, the athletes are mistreated and the student workers get all the goodies.:lol:

7. stevescookin

I once knew a check out person at the library who drove a hummer and whose family suddenly lived in a $500,000 house. :lol:.

...and Tigerbait3, those student athletes were punished for their book infractions. Their library cards were suspended one month for every vacated win.

1 person likes this.
  8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

9. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

They had their probation extended for another 5 years. Any infraction at all and they'll be looking at harsh penalties. I've even seen the words "death penaltly" used. :shock:

Anyone want to contribute to send the latest Alabama football scholarship some money. :D

10. bayoutider

bayoutider Founding Member

Are you sure about that? Assistant athletics director for student services Jon Dever and director of the supply store Teresa Shreve received letters of reprimand and had their salaries frozen for one year. These are the only two I know of who have had their salaries frozen at this time and I'm fairly certain neither has lost their home. Both these people were very much in the chain of people who should have been overseeing the textbook issue.