Astros making their run?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Sep 24, 2006.

1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Funny how it takes knowing Tirk to get the gist of that post. I hear what you're saying. Bud's been quite a dimwit, but damnit if the wildcard isn't the best thing since the cream and clear. I even fought it originally, but it's completely injected a lot of energy into the game.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

actually i didnt mean to wander off but in one instant i realized how great the wildcard is i also had to slam selig so not to praise him.

im so jacked about the stros im here watching the phillies as I just got home. i may sleep on the floor at your house if they make it. ill bring my satellite dish just in case.

**started after 4 hr delay.

oh and my hatred of selig is well known and unparalleled. i hate him much more than balco bonds.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Kruk on Baseball Tonite has the Astros at #1 in his power rankings in the NL. Phillies were 2nd, Dodgers 3rd, Padres 4th and Mets 5th.

But he also stated that the Astros, like all other NL teams in playoff contention, is playing every game like game 7 of the WS, and then went on to say that Dan Wheeler pitched 7 innings last nite. Of course, he pitched only 3 innings (which is a big deal since that's your closer, but it wasnt quite 7 innings there Krukky)

I would say my power rankings are Astros, Padres (4 steady starters and bullpen is nails, for the most part, except for idiot manager decisions), Mets (lost Pedro, of course), Dodgers (they lost Penny today, that's too big a loss but really good back end of bullpen), and then the Phillies (so much hitting but lacking in pitching depth),

4. NoLimitMD

Nah, you can have the bed of my truck. No questions asked.

I hear you about being jacked up...I've got a wake up call in 4 hours for a flight out, and I have no interest in going to bed.

Sure, some of that is my boy Spurrier giving me hope of an SEC championship game.

5. NoLimitMD

Seriously, who pays these numb nuts? Ooops...wretched pun. It's not just baseball with these a-holes either. It galls me to no end to know that nobody has the refined opinions of about a half dozen posters on TF (with NLMD leading the pack, of course) but they get the big bucks for spewing stupid.

6. islstl

Baseball is such a game of inches....take tonite, for instance.....Johnny Estrada missed the foul pole by inches for a 3 run homer off of Jake Peavy. That may make all the difference in someone's world.

The preceding message was meant for one particular poster (and only one) on TF.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

:hihi: :hihi:

8. islstl

Phillies are gonna lose tonite, unless Cordero melts down (not likely).

So Phillies are almost done now. Good news for the Stros. Schmidt more likely not to start Sunday if Dodger/Giant game is meaningless. MLB would force Alou to start Schmidt in the Monday game in St. Louis (well not really, but Alou would be hard pressed to do it, at a minimum).

The stars are aligning. Can you see it? I know you can.

9. islstl

Another interesting decision is one LaRussa will have to make.

On Sunday, if his team is ahead by 1 game even after an Astro win, he may elect to go with Reyes and save Carpenter for either (A) the extra monday game vs the Giants if they loss or B) the first game of the playoffs, should the Cardinals win the game and remain 1 1/2 games ahead

10. islstl

more good Karma factoids:

Atlanta Braves starter James' ERA 10.61 over last 2 starts...appears to be puttering in his inaugeral season (which had been tremendous up until then)

Jeff Weaver's ERA is 7.95 at home

Word has it that Tony Lose-Roosa is planning on having his own fans boo Jeff Weaver at every instance, in order to create a road type atmosphere, where his ERA is a much more respectable 4.38. Jeff's IQ is just below 90, so Tony figures he may just buy into it. We'll see.

Capuano is 0-3 vs. St. Louis this year, but has pitched decently in his 3 outings. Milwaukee just failed to score for him. That won't be the case tomorrow. Jeff Weaver sweatin in his sleep as we speak.

The key tomorrow will be for Capuano to get deep into the game, hopefully 7 full innings. I don't trust the Brewers bullpen whatsoever.