Astros making their run?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Sep 24, 2006.

1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Word is that Bonds won't travel with the Giants to play the Cards.

If that happens, throw all of my Bonds Allegiance out the window. The league should step in at that point. Or just give the Giants three free runs.

This push by the 'Stros is absolutely unbelievable. I've been watching baseball a long time, and cannot recall a comeback of this magnitude.

2. NoLimitMD

I got e-mails from the 'Stros saying that tix were going on sale this morning at 8:00.

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I don't see Albers anywhere on the official Stros website...what is your source?

That ain't happening....Sampson is perfect for that park...he keeps the ball down down down

4. islstl

Please refer to the past 2 seasons....both were nearly as amazing

I mean 36-10 after not playing .500 ball for the first 116 games...that's pretty serious stuff

15-30, 2-20 on the road, and you end up winning 89 games....that's not shabby either

5. NoLimitMD

Yea, I was thinking about those seasons, and this will go right up there with them if they pull it out. They still made those runs when it was somewhat feasible. This is just an absurdly great burst of games. It think a lot of teams would have just cruised into the off-season after they lost those games that put 'em 8.5 back. Hell, I don't think they won more than 4 or 5 in a row at any point in the season!!

6. islstl

So at the very minimum, if the Stros can win out, they force St. Louey to play the extra game

Schmidt has not decided if he wants to pitch the last game of the regular season, as far as what was posted on SF's official website a couple of days ago. So he might end up pitching the extra game on Monday. Lets hope so, I sure dont want to count on Matt Morris, which would end up being the alternative.

So I would trade Schmidt for not having Bonds at this point.

7. islstl

Well the most amazing part is the collape of the Cardinals, not so much the Astros run. A first place team should not be this horrible at this point in the season, but the Cards are really that bad. They were hiding a lot of their deficiencies all season long (poor starting pitching, a leaky bullpen, no set hitting lineup), so its like all of it is spilling out in the last 10 days for the entire baseball world to see. I'm liking it.

I think the longest winning streak was only 4 up until this run for the Stros.

8. NoLimitMD

That's just it. The Cards have been skating through the season, with wins covering up some fundamental deficiencies. The Astros have let losses pile up over what should have been a better team. Funny how everything plays out over the course of 162, huh? The beauty of baseball.

Note: it's easy to wax poetic at this point. If the Cards end up in the playoffs, I'll be convinced that it's a travesty and an Achilles Heel of baseball. :hihi:

9. islstl

Talk about big decisions, just like Schmidt isnt sure if he will pitch on Sunday, John Smoltz has not decided if he wants to pitch Sunday's game.

I think Schmidt will pitch on Sunday, unfortunately, cuz the Giants absolutely hate the Dodgers and want nothing more than to ruin their season.

So what we need to root for is for the Nationals to take care of the Phillies and take them out of the hunt for the wildcard come Sunday. If the Dodgers/Giants game is meaningless come Sunday, then Schmidt will sit and would end up pitching on Monday. I would have a hard time believing that is Bonds doesnt travel, that Schmidt would not travel as well to pitch the makeup game. MLB would not allow it. They look down upon such things.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

they won 6 straight to close out august i believe i heard.

i also heard albers??? earlier today on the fox report. I think it was some chick who just made it up cuz it made no sense.

i phreaking hate bud selig but he will forever be known as the moron who gave us the wildcard. damnit to hell.

one good thing somehow trumps everything else. he still sucks.