Astros making their run?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Sep 24, 2006.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Pettitte will just have to outduel him...Pettitte has one of the best ERAs since the all-star break (2.92).

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

last year post-break for pettitte:

1.69 era .90 whip .201 BAA

interesting you think roy-o jumped back in the cy race since i assumed it was brandon webb's regardless what carpenter did the last 2 weeks.

still think it is but interesting hes got a shot.

just hand over NL ROY to zimmerman.

AL CY of course going to johan. liriano coulda won a few awards if he had stayed healthy.

i guess papelbon wins AL ROY over verlander.

pooholes wins NL MVP and Papi probably wins AL but id rather see morneau win it. or even johan. they are 20-0 his last 24 home starts or something.

3. islstl

I still remember all the incessant blathering by Joe Morgan on one of their Sunday Night telecasts recently....Joe kept going on and on about how a pitcher should not get considered for the MVP. He talked about it the entire half inning of play. I missed part of it as I had to go vomit.

4. islstl

I don't know if there has ever been a better crop of rookies up for the NL and AL ROY.

AL

Papelbon
    Verlander
    Liriano
    Kinsler
    Johjima

NL

Ryan Zimmerman
    Dan Uggla
    Hanley Ramirez
    Mike Jacobs
    Josh Willingham
    Russell Martin
    Prince Fielder
    Conner Jackson
    Matt Cain
    Scott Olsen
    Josh Johnson
    Anibal Sanchez

Zimmerman's late push and full year full time playing must earn him the NL award. He's been brilliant. I should know Tirk...wink wink

Papelbon should edge Verlander....Liriano would have won both the ROY and Cy Young had he not gotten hurt.

That's 4 position players and 3 starters of the Marlins alone. That's incredible.

5. tirk

my amazement of the marlins is indescribable. thats why ive been repeating their payroll to those who follow it. less than 15 mill with dontrelle getting about half of it Id imagine --and now they have 4 rookie starters with 10 wins or more. first time ever in the modern era and first time since 1900.

josh johnson was in the running for the cy as a rookie,

3.10 era but was 2.50 at end of august. olsen is in the 3s, sanchez is below 3. though nolasco hit the wall.

cant wait to see a couple of them in pinstripes. :bncry: :bncry:

miguel cabrera probably a lock for the hall if he stays healthy for his career but word on him he's got some T.O.D. in him.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

people love to quote "moneyball" and worship at the feet of billy beane. but the marlins are more impressive in my opinion. expansion team already with 2 world series titles and already stacked with cheap young talent again.

7. tirk

completely agree. if you take a look at pitching staffs without even looking at salaries, the marlins beat most teams. Id take theirs over the mets, red sox and yankees if you throw in mariano for me. though that lack of experience thing kinda hurts as rookies.

billy beane cant make it out the first round. he gets too much hype. i guess coming out of the closet earns you extra points. if only piazza would it would help other gay players.

8. islstl

Keys to victory tonite for the Stros

put up some early runs on James...that may be difficult to come by....we all know the woes of Astros lack of scoring when the Rocket takes the mound

Rocket will run into 1 or 2 difficult jams with a big batter or 2 coming up....the key is not to give up that big 3 run homer in that smallish ballpark and limit the damage....i think he will succeed in doing that

As far as the Cardinals, the Brewers must attack early and often as they did last nite....and put Weaver on the ropes....maybe LaRussa will pull him after only 1/3 of an inning (really short leash) and put in Ankiel (just joking)

Capuano must also limit the damage in key situations otherwise this will be a slugfest as tirk alluded to in an earlier posting...I'm still terrified about a Brewer bullpen collapse in the late innings

9. tirk

sadly post-roid testing turnbow, version 1.0 is due to pitch in relief I am sure.

need caps to be on his game and limit the walks. house of cards will be swinging the bats tonight.

10. islstl

Astros last best chance in the 8th

Wickman has been pretty much lights out for the Braves

Typical game with Roger on the mound, no offensive support, even worse a fielding error to boot that makes the difference in the score....this heavy right handed lineup has been brutal this year