Astros making their run?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Sep 24, 2006.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Astros start an hour before the Cards do tomorrow, so once again it's important to put some early runs on the board so the Cards can see it. And especially with Rocket on the hill, they know that if the Stros have a 2 or 3 run lead, that would be huge.

2. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

I sure hope that the Astros can pull it out.

I lived in Houston for 10 years and always like to see them do well.

Now i live 15 minutes from the San Francisco Giants park. My wife just got her companies suite for the Giants game Sunday .

You are right about the Giants fans hating the Dodgers. If they can spoil their playoffs they would love to do it.

I heard them talking on sports radio here about some of the same things you guys have mentioned if the game needs to be played Monday.

I sure hope the Giants do what they can to help the Astros make it. You should be rooting for Matt Cain to be pitching that Monday game because he has been awesome for the Giants in the late part of the season.

Also i would sure like to think Bonds would make the trip but they are talking about him having his elbow surgery very soon so he could be ready to play again next year.

Well good luck and hope it works out.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

larussa will pitch carpenter on sunday, you know this. his arm is on fumes, poor guy. capuano has sucked of late so this will be a close game and high scoring (tomorrow).

the cards pen being overused here is a must and will likely determine the house of cards fate.

need weaver to go no more than 5 then life is good.

4. islstl

Matt Cain is unfortunately pitching on Saturday...so no chance of him starting on Monday...but u were right Calco, that would prolly be the Astros best option

5. islstl

Carp (as he is affectionately known in St. Louis), I agree, is on fumes.

And I guess it wouldnt be prudent to put the kid Reyes in there on 3 days rest. I know he threw a lot of pitches as well on his last start.

6. islstl

They said they had about 200 fans left to watch the Astros/Pirates game due to the 3 hour rain delay. It was like a spring training game.

Cudos to the umps and Pirates to wait the rain out and get the game in. Astros were definitely happy.

7. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

If you're an Astros fan, you better hope it doesn't come down to a Cards/Giants game on Monday.

The Giants will just show up and go through the motions. They'll be thinking about vacation, not baseball.

8. islstl

Well I hope the Dodgers have clinched the WC by Sunday so that Schmidt foregoes the Sunday start to pitch on Monday instead.

That may be the only hope for SF winning that game.

Smoltz already stated he will start on Sunday if the game matters. And I know Schmidt would do the same on either Sunday or Monday, depending on what the circumstances are. The integrity of the game is paramount (yeah I know that sounds silly after all the steroid problems).

9. islstl

Funny all of a sudden Roy Oswalt is thrust into the middle of the Cy Young race and will more than likely win it if he wins the extra game vs the Cardinals on Tuesday. I think Webb will choke against the Padres on Sunday and get another loss, giving him a 16-8 record, which Roy-O would equal with a win on Tuesday.

The only other possibility is Trevor Hoffman, who may get the sympathy vote since he got snubbed the year he had 53 saves.

10. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

Id rather see the Astros in the playoffs just b/c my brother is a big Cards fan, but you know Smoltz will bring his best and try to avenge their playoff losses to the Astros.