Astros making their run?

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Sep 24, 2006.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Well as unbelievable as it seems, the Astros have at least put some pressure on the Cardinals going into the last week of the season with 4 dramatic wins these past 4 days.

They are still 3 1/2 games back. The Cardinals are a horrible team going into the playoffs. They really don't deserve to make it. And nobody in the National League wants to see the Astros make it.

They interviewed LaRussa during the game tonite and he said he likes his pitching. I can't see how. His starting pitching is pretty much a joke other than Carpenter. And the Astros lit up his bullpen 4 straight games to win all 4 in dramatic fashion. There is not much to like about the Cardinals pitching right now.

Cardinals play the Padres 3 times at home starting on Monday. The Padres are playing really well. The Astros need them to beat the Cardinals at least 2 out of 3 and more than likely sweep to have a chance. With the way the Cardinals are playing, it could happen. And the Padres are fighting for their playoff lives and they also want to take revenge for last year's embarrassing 3 and out in the playoffs against the Cards. The Cardinals also have a makeup game at home on the following Monday, if necessary, against the Giants.

I'll say this, If the Astros pull off a victory tomorrow with the rookie Matt Albers pitching in Philly, then I think the Astros are destined to make the playoffs once again. Astros play the Pirates and Braves 3 each on the road to finish the season. The Astros must go either 6-1 or 7-0 to have a legitimate chance. Also, a victory over Philly tomorrow would be big, as it hurts their chances of making the playoffs. So if the Padres win the division and the Dodgers win the wildcard over the Phillies, then the Astros would face the Padres rather than the Mets in the first round. Astros match up a lot better versus the Padres than the vaunted Mets.

Interestingly enough, the Astros win the tie-breaker with the Cards due to head to head matchup (Astros won season series 10-8), so they just need to tie.

So basically it comes down to:

Astros go 7-0, Cards must go 4-4
    Astros go 6-1, Cards must go 3-5
    Astros go 5-2, Cards must go 2-6
    Astros go 4-3, Cards must go 1-7
    Astros go 3-4, Cards must go 0-8

Starting rotation the rest of the way:

Albers vs. Philly
    Pettitte, Oswalt and Hirsh vs. Pittsburgh
    Clemens, Pettitte and Oswalt vs. Atlanta

I think Garner will go on 3 days rest for Pettitte and Oswalt if the Stros are still in contention come Saturday (indicated above). Oswalt would also be on 3 days rest with Tuesday's start vs. the Pirates. Albers would be the only shaky starter the rest of the way. He's gonna be on a short leash tomorrow.

2. islstl

Well the stars are aligning as we speak.

Chris Sampson, in only the 3rd start of his career, and who only knew he was starting 5 hours before game time pitched 3 2/3 scoreless innings. I thought the leash was way too short for him however. And Springer shoulda been used for the 5th inning and not just 1 out, so a bit of questionable game management on Garner's part. But in the end, it was yet another latter inning comeback with the Astros scoring 3 runs in the 7th to win another nail-biter 5-4.

This was the one I was worried about that coulda brought our tremendous momentum to a grinding halt. The train is definitely still rolling.

The Cards lose another close 6-5 game to the Pods.

2 1/2 game lead. Now we got us a real battle for the division.

Pettitte, Oswalt and Clemens will pitch 5 of the next 6 games. Hirsh will pitch the other. I like our chances.

The Cards are reeling, they have no idea how to get out of the rut. Carpenter goes tomorrow. If they can't win with Carpenter at home (1.46 ERA at home), then they aren't gonna win this division. Ironically Woody Williams opposes him.

3. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I am not shocked by the Cardinals' woes. How they can continue to ignore solidifying their pithcing staff is beyond me. This year it looks like it just might catch up with us *before* the playoffs.

Now what does shock me is what the Astros are doing. That team has been written off for most of the season. Glad to see you're enjoying their late season run. Just hoping you don't have too much more enjoyment at the expense of my 'cards.

4. islstl

New updated scenarios:

Cards go 4-3, Astros must go 6-0
    Cards go 3-4, Astros must go 5-1
    Cards go 2-5, Astros must go 4-2
    Cards go 1-6, Astros must go 3-3
    Cards go 0-7, Astros must go 2-4

Can anyone clarify the tie-breaking procedures for the division title? I know back in 2001 I think it was, the Astros and Cards tied for the same record, but the Astros won the season series that year and they were given the division title outright and the Cards ended up being the wildcard. But if both teams are tied and only one would make the playoffs, do they force a one game playoff to decide the winner of the division?

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

they play a single game if the losing team wouldnt win the wildcard, which in this case they won't.

so its a one-game series i believe.

there was a huge conference call last tuesday to determine locations for potential tie-breaking games....via coin flips.

12 teams were involved 7 from NL & 5 from AL. the outcome of such coin flips are top secret i guess.

6. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

The following is from CBS Sportsline:

7. islstl

no, they announced the winners on MLB.com, I remember seeing them. The Astros had won every tie-breaker except for maybe 1 team. But that was for the wildcard. I have not heard anything about the division ties, however.

Well if there is a 1 game playoff, that explains why Garner isn't pitching Oswalt on 3 days rest to get him 2 starts. He'll have to go with Sampson again on Saturday, however. I'm fine with that, the dude keeps the ball down and can be effective against homer happy Atlanta in that smallish ballpark.

So the rotation would be as follows:

Pettitte, Hirsh, Oswalt vs. Pirates
    Clemens, Sampson, Pettitte vs. Braves

Unfortunately, the Astros will have to face the only 2 good starters the Braves have, James vs. Clemens, and then Smoltz vs. Pettitte. Would be nice to see Pettitte have 2 dominating outings to end the season to make up for the debacle of his first half of the season.

That would set up Oswalt in the one game playoff, which would happen on Tuesday, since the Cards would have to play the Giants on Monday to make up that game. Cards would have to go with Weaver, as it currently stands, to battle Oswalt. I love my chances in that game. Even if its in St. Louis, Weaver has been etrocious. So the home field advantage would be more than negated.

8. islstl

thanks man....now we know the deal

that's sweet. Roy-O at home vs. Weaver. Hell yeah.

9. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i didnt know about the possible one-game for STL on monday against the giants. too bad the giants freaking suck currently. maybe schmidt can nut-up for one outing before signing with another team.

the other weaver is pretty atrocious and i think hes still pissed after giving up that 2 run hit sunday with clemens on deck. smart guy he is not. jered must be proud costing his bro a job.

pettitte was possibly the best pitcher in the 2nd half last year in the nl and has shown signs once again. hes likely to retire with rocket after this year..............AGAIN.

luckily drayton put down the pipe and signed roy-o and thank goodness peter angelos turned down that stupid offer or the astros would be in terrible shape for the future.

lidge is gone but we should get a good bat or arm for him since teams will be begging for him in spite of his troubles.

10. islstl

There is a chance that Matt Morris will pitch against the Cards in the makeup game. That's funny as shyt just thinkin about it.

Morris pitches tonite, I gotta believe the Giants want to look at some rookie in the last game of the season vs. pitching Morris again. But at the same time, the Pods will scream and yell if the Giants don't put their best foot forward in trying to beat the Dodgers (if that game even really matters by then).

It would be hilarious if Morris pitches a dandy and takes the Cardinals out of the playoffs. If they pitch Morris on Sunday instead, then the kid Sanchez would pitch on Monday. I'm just glad it won't be Lowry....dude sucks to all hell right now.