Astros and Free Agency

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

Astros Sign Lamb

1 yr/2.7 m

One of the best bench players in the majors. Very good lefty bat.

This is his last year of arbitration so he'll be a FA next year. Based on this though, he probably won't command much more than 4-5 mil per yr.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Re: Stros To Get Loretta

astros re-sign USC morganza ensberg one-year, $4.35 mill. bleh. if thats how he produces in a contract year, i can hardly wait. I guess that shoulder is healed.

same goes for adam everett, one-year, $2.8 mill. pretty cheap for a gold-glover. maybe he can hit his weight this year.

1 person likes this.
  3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I don't see the Astros doing anything to shore up the starting pitching.

I wonder is there is a plan to trade Lidge, even though they signed him.

I think they are convinced Wheeler can get the job done and maybe want to get something for Lidge, since mentally he may be done as a closer (see Pujols homer in 05 NLCS).

1 person likes this.
  4. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

It looks like they're going to go with the guys they've got in the starting rotation, and hope at least two of the the young arms develop. I'm actually happy to see them not continue to kneejerk after getting screwed in the Taveras/Buccholz trade.

Ensberg is one of the more intriguing stories in the NL Central. With the addition of Loretta, I think Garner will have the option of pulling Ensberg if he gets hurt and refuses to tell anybody (like last year.)

Everett is, of course, a complete liability at the plate. He's also the best fielding SS in the game right now, which offers a big conundrum. I prefer him in the line-up, but that's probably because I much prefer a low scoring game and love watching athletic fielders. And in that regard, we went from having Justin Gatlin in CF to Badlands Booker in LF.

OH -- how could I forget?? The Stros also signed Jason Lane to a one year, $1.05 million deal, which he'll get IF HE MAKES THE TEAM. Purpura made it plainly clear on the radio that Lane will be battling for a roster spot. Other than Lane having an option for earning a roster spot, I completely agreed with him.

1 person likes this.
  5. islstl

I think Loretta shares 2B duties after the Allstar break when Biggio goes into his midsummer swoon (like clockwork).

Loretta is a good bat and a perfect 2 hole hitter. Biggio can hold up for half a season and give all he has. Then we can thank him for his services and put in Loretta. That's the way they should handle it.

I think the offense depends heavily on Burke excelling as a leadoff hitter. Damn I hope he comes thru. Ensberg being the other big question mark, of course. If both answer the bell, then this offense is one of the most feared in the NL. If neither one does, it will be a long and crappy season. Seven thru nine is an automatic out. That hurts.

What is our rotation?

1 - Oswalt
    2- Jennings
    3 - Williams
    4 - Rodriguez (Miss Wanda, if you nasty)
    5 - Nieve/Albers/Sampson/Goliath

And Scott has to battle for his job again with Jason phucking Lane? Come on. Way to knock his confidence down 18 notches. Hey Luke, we like what you did at the end of last season but we still think Jason Lane is an up and coming superstar, so you're gonna have to battle it out with him next exhibition season. WTF?

Damn I hate Poo-poo-rah. This team is doomed to hell.

6. NoLimitMD

I just don't know about Burke in CF either. Hopefully Carlos Lee has some Manny influence and thinks to cut-off the cut-off throw from Burke. Dude's got the arm of Jay Fiedler.

I really hope Burke does well. Though a noodlearm, he's easily one of the most likeable guys on the team (and a team filled with 'em.)

Call me crazy or just Willy T obsessed, but I'm curious about the impact losing Taveras will have on Luke Scott. Scott really seemed to get comfortable in the bigs as his friendship with Taveras grew. I'm not saying that's an upcoming excuse (far from it, actually), but sometimes those kinds of things play a role.

Man, I'm ready for baseball season to start.

7. islstl

Damn you Hunsicker, why'd you have to quit us like that?

8. islstl

You don't need as much of an arm from left field I spose with that short porch.

I like the "sparkplug" effect of Burke. We just haven't had that type of player for a while (since Biggio was in his prime). It can be infectious. I hope it works out. He's got the ability. Now let's see how he handles an everyday job.

I am sure Luke Scott doesn't need Taveras anymore. I think he can fly from Taveras' nest and do well.

9. islstl

How bad is Carlos Lee defensively?

I never seen him play in the outfield.

10. NoLimitMD

I've only seen him a few times, and he's not bad. Certainly nowhere near Manny. He's just kinda slow, which as you point out, is mitigated some by the little league left field fences.