Astros and Free Agency

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Oct 5, 2006.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Re: No Deal...Yet

Padilla, Lilly, Meche and Eaton....now there's a championship rotation....and it's yours for a scant $ 40 million dollars a year.

Lilly obviously the stopper of the rotation, with an amazing 6 strikeouts per 9 innings average.

Gil Meche resides in Scott, Louisiana. I think he can officially buy up the entire town now.

2. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

Now what?

Now that Andy is back in pinstripes, who does Purpura try to get? Looks like the Stros have lost some bargaining power, teams know that Houston needs a #2 pitcher and will ask for the house or McLane will have to sell a few of his yachts to bring someone in.

I guess Roy can pitch every other day now. I heard that he is adding on a fitness room to his house. He'll be in great shape.

Tim pick up, line 1...

3. islstl

Re: Now what?

I am certain the Astros will get Jason Jennings 212 IP 3.78 ERA with the Rockies is pretty damn good.

He would make for a good #3 pitcher. If the Astros could get assurances that Clemens comes back (even if its for only the last 3-4 months), then that would set the rotation.

Oswalt
    Clemens
    Jennings
    Williams
    Hirsh

4. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

I wonder if Hirsh will have to be thrown in to sweeten any deals? Jennings would only be for 1 yr while Hirsh is under control for 6 yrs.

I know Hirsh is unproven in the bigs yet, but I hope the Astros don't make hasty decisions. As the saying goes, "Don't step over a dollar to get to a dime".

5. islstl

Pupura, if anything, has been ultra conservative when it comes to trades.

That's a good thing. I agree don't sell the house for a rental property.

I still hold out for San Diego cleaning house and possibly getting away with a steal for Peavy.

Oswalt
    Clemens or Peavy
    Jennings
    Williams
    Hirsch

6. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

That would be a very solid rotation. And allow for the possibilty of Buccholz.

A buddy of mine is a huge Padres fan, and is sick about the possibility of losing Peavy. Everybody but Pads' management seems convinced he's got #2 stuff. Or #1 on a team w/o an ace.

7. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

8. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Re: Stros To Get Loretta

These utility guys are always useful, especially when your starting 2B is 54 years old, and is backed up by your CF who can't play centerfield. But since HIS CF back up is named Jason Lane because your GM is a moron and traded a Gold Glover, well, it's nice to have utility guys.

9. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

The Loretta deal was under the radar. Didn't hear about any rumors w/ him and the Stros. The guy is a contact hitter which we don't have a lot of and he is a good cheap addition.

He might play 1B against lefties w/Berkman moving to RF. He relieves Biggio over the course of the season, maybe 55-70 starts at 2B. He might even take some playing time from Everett since Loretta is experienced defensively at SS unlike Burke last year. Lane might be the odd man out.

We'll see how this all plays out. It's a no lose signing not to mention when he doesn't start he gives us a deeper pinch hitting situation.

Before the signing, I thought Burke might move from CF and take over at 2B and Hunter Pence would get called up. If not this year then next.

10. islstl

Pence being called up prolly will depend on whether Scott stays a lock in the outfield. Lane sucks. I hope they give up on him sometime during the season and replace him with Pence. Damn that Lane for having those scathing pics of Garner.