Astros and Free Agency

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Oct 5, 2006.

1. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Re: El Caballo & Woody

Peavy would be an incredible aquisition, but I have no idea how much they'd have to give up for him. I really hope they don't get rid of Taveras, unless they somehow plan to get Crawford or Wells, which I seriously doubt.

Pettitte said he'll know by Christmas -- and the CNNSI report that he's negotiating with the Yankees has been denied by Axelrod. We know what that means.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Peavey would have to a trade, which if you read the Astros website, Pupura does mention the possibility of trades to avoid paying the big bucks the market is dictating in free agency.

I say give them Ensberg and Lane. The only problem is the Padres signed that Kouzmanoff dude but he is unproven.

It will probably be one of our young arms (Albers, Bucholtz, Sampson, Hirsh) plus maybe somebody like Lane.

3. NoLimitMD

I'm thinking Ensberg, Lane, and one of those arms. PLEASE take Lane. I hope they don't trade Hirsch or Buchholz -- both of those guys have shown glimpses of being very good pitchers. Buchholz had some stretches that looked like a future ace.

4. islstl

Agree about both Buchholz and Hirsch.

I am hoping SD is trying to drop payroll and will take less than what is warranted for Peavy. They allowed Bochy to leave, I just think management/ownership is looking to rebuild from the ground up, or maybe he is planning to sell to someone.

I wouldn't mind Ensberg and Lane leaving. I think Ensberg is a head case. That damn WS against the White Sox screwed with Morgan and Brad Lidge's heads. Lane has a horrible swing that isn't capable of succeeding at the MLB level. Dude is left handed and bats right handed. That's just doesn't work.

5. NoLimitMD

Good point about the Padres maybe shedding payroll.

Lane strikes me as a career AAA player. Good enough to play, and maybe even see the big leagues once in a while, but only in a pinch. I think you're right about his swing. The notion of him playing CF has been tossed around here. Poor guy would have an uphill climb, to put it mildly.

Funny side note about Ensberg -- that guy buys a shocking amount of Ensure drinks. I was behind him at Kroger, and was surprised that he's bigger than he appears (on TV or in person at the games.)

And the cases of Dasani weren't all that surprising. But the case after case of Ensure was just stunning. I was chuckling about it before I realized it was him -- thinking "here's some rich dude who's trainer told him they're good for you, so he's dropping a couple hundred dollars on them." Actually, I guess I was right.

6. islstl

goodness I hope they give up on this dude already.

7. islstl

Pettitte just announced he is returning for at least one more season. Supposedly will be a battle between Astros and Yanks. I hope not. Astros won't compete with whatever absurd amount Yanks throw at Andy. I think Andy will do the same thing he did to the Yanks in 2003, that is settle for less with the Astros. That will be fun to re-live again.

8. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

Astros to get Garland

Stros are also set to get pitcher Jon Garland from the White Sox. The word is that Willy T and Buchholz will be traded. garland will be the No. 2 pitcher. Money still might be there for Andy. Yankess might offer a 2 yr deal while the Stros might givehim only a 1 yr contract. We'll see..

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4385643.html

If Pettitte does return, and Clemens signs again. A rotation of Clemens, Oswalt, Garland, Pettitte, and Williams would look sweet.

9. islstl

Re: Astros to get Garland

Garland would be a #4 starter in that rotation. Not bad at all. Garland is very durable, having never been injured in 5 seasons he's been a starter for the White Sox. My concern for him is that he has given up an average of 28 homers in those 5 seasons as starter. Compare that to someone like Oswalt who has given up only 17 homers per season.

I think the Astros are banking on Burke to handle center field. I think they have seen enough of him last season in how well he handled the position and how he appears ready to take over as an every day player, which will get him prepared to take over 2B after Biggio retires next season.

Burke
    Biggio
    Berkman
    Lee
    Scott
    Ensberg/Lamb
    Everett
    Ausmus

Key to this offense really taking off is Scott protecting Lee in the lineup. If Scott can be a clutch hitter and bat .300+, then opposing pitchers will be forced to pitch to Lee.

10. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

Deal or No Deal

I heard that the White Sox want RHP Jason Hirsh (AAA Starting Pitcher of the Year). The deal might be on hold. Hirsh is the future, just way too much.

Buchholz + Taveras = Trade

Buchholz + Taveras + Hirsh = No Trade