Astros and Free Agency

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by islstl, Oct 5, 2006.

1. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

Agree with you on Lane. I think I'll see a lot of him next year in Round Rock, assuming he's not traded.

I hope Scott has a good spring. He's been positioned for good things before and it didn't happen for him. He's a good guy, he plays hard, and I'm hoping this time it'll work out better for him.

Watched Hirsch all summer. Lots of potential.

2. areed7

areed7 Founding Member

I dont know about the Astros gettin Mark Buerhle. He's from the StL and gre up a Cards fan. He has stated publicly that he would love to play for the Cardinals. Jocketty and Larussa love pitchers that eat innings like Buerhle. (Thats why theyve continued to play Marquis so much over the course of the year... although he gave up a ton of runs, they left him in the games to get slaughtered)

3. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

Payroll:
    How much will McLane spend? Stros still Top 10 in spending. They were 7th last year, around $95 m. How much more do they have if they do not pick up Bagwell's option? Was Bag was getting around $19 m? Front office will pay him his buyout, around $7-8 m.

FA pickups:
    Lee or Soriano is the buzz. Don't know if Soriano will kick and scream being put in OF? I think Soriano would be a bigger prize.

Random Thoughts:
    I hope Clemens comes back and pitches for the entire year. Stros might have made the postseason if he was around all season.

Wouldn't suprise me if Lidge stays or is used as trade bait. Ensberg could go as well.

Why did Hickey get fired? Only b/c he couldn't get more out of the youngters?

Garner is on a short leash w/ only a 1 yr extension.

Hirsh and Albers will get their chance in spring training to join the roster.

Stros was 1st in NL defense and 2nd in MLB. They had the NL's 2nd best ERA (4.08) and 5th in MLB. Just need another power bat or 2 to the worst offense in MLB. Houston was 10th overall in smallball w/ aggressive play, but was only 25th in runs scored.

4. goldengirlfan

goldengirlfan simple man

No more runs than they scored for him this year, I'm not sure it would have made much difference. Then again, a game would have done it wouldn't it ? I'm with you, I hope he gives it one more.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I just think Clemens gives the entire team a boost, so yeah I think the Stros win 90 games and the division rather easily with Rocket all year long. And look how Andy suffered before Roger got there. Kinda funny how his season turned around when his best friend showed up. Make that 95 wins.

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

godfatha, I'll take Soriano just as easily as Lee. Soriano obviously brings a great running threat to the table, and just as much pop in his bat, if not more. so actually I think Soriano would be the best boost to this offense.

Let's see:

Taveras
    Soriano
    Berkman
    Scott
    Ensberg
    Biggio/Burke
    Everett
    Ausmus

definitely create havoc on the basepaths.....back half of the order still very questionable, however....hope the 2005 Ensberg comes back in 2007

7. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

8. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Re: Stros Sign Lee

The Chronicle is saying 6 years, close to $90M. Thanks to the Cubs, they overspent like crazy for a good, not great, player. Berkman is pretty happy right now, until he realizes Lee will need his first base job in a couple of years.

9. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

Stros also signed Woody Williams today as well. Don't know the numbers on that yet.

10. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

GREAT signing there. Curious if it's one or two years.